Carlos Beltran, Red Sox having “serious dialogue”

Nov 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT

carlos beltran getty Getty Images

The market for free agent outfielder Carlos Beltran seems to be picking up quite a bit of recent steam.

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported this afternoon that the Orioles, Yankees and Red Sox have expressed serious interest in signing Beltran and now Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald tweets that the Red Sox front office has already engaged in “serious dialogue” with the 36-year-old and his agent.

Beltran received a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals this month and declined it, so signing him requires the forfeiture of a top draft pick. But what he is capable of providing offensively can outweigh that hitch.

Beltran batted .282/.343/.493 with 56 home runs, 56 doubles, 162 runs scored and 181 RBI in his two seasons with St. Louis and he’s a .333/.445/.683 career hitter in 51 total postseason games.

The Red Sox could use him as a regular left fielder and part-time designated hitter in 2014.

1. chill1184 - Nov 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Certainly would be easier to root for if he was a Red Sock

2. sidelineshot - Nov 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM

That would mean that Jackie Bradley Jr. will be patrolling CF with Victorino in RF.
    What about the Gomes/Nava platoon in LF, if Beltran is projected as the left fielder?

• MLBlogsbig3bosox - Nov 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM

No, I think that would mean that Beltran plays RF, Victorino goes back to CF and the Nava/Gomes platoon stays put. I really don’t like Victorino in CF anymore and I love him patrolling RF, but I can live with that if it means getting Beltran. Of course I’m a little biased since Beltran is one of my favorite players but I don’t think it would be that bad for the team either.

• paperlions - Nov 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Beltran’s defense in the spacious RF of Fenway would be somewhat disastrous. He’d do much better in the tiny LF or in RF in Yankee Stadium. An OF of Nava/Gomes, Victorino, Beltran would be a huge defensive downgrade from their OF defense in 2013.

• MLBlogsbig3bosox - Nov 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Yeah I hear ya. The problem is that it would be a messy situation with Gomes and Nava unless Nava moves to first and that would mean the end of the Mike Napoli era in Boston. And hopefully that isn’t the case.

• doctornature - Nov 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM

If Nap goes, Beltran is probably athletic enough to play 1B, although nobody has ever mentioned the possibility. If Napoli can transition from catcher, you would think Beltran could do it with a full spring training to work with. But this is assuming Nap leaves. I love Nap and what he brings to the clubhouse, but he had the 2nd highest K rat in baseball, and Beltran is a switch hitter. If Nap has to go, Beltran is the best possible replacement and might even make them better.

• theskinsman - Nov 20, 2013 at 6:08 AM

I’m not loving this…time to get a bit younger in the outfield, and how many AB do you want to take from Papi?

• proudlycanadian - Nov 20, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I agree with you, thus, I hope they sign him.

• TheMorningStar - Nov 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM

a) Beltran will be playing in the OF, hence no AB’s lost by Ortiz.

b) Red Sox fully committed to getting younger in the OF; they have several prospects ( Brentz, Kalish, etc.) who will be up soon, just not next season.

c) The Blue Jays suck.

3. aceshigh11 - Nov 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM

If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

• umrguy42 - Nov 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Shades of Edgar Renteria in the ’04 off season…

4. wheels579 - Nov 19, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Part-time DH? How often does Ortiz sit? Good hitter, not a good fit.

5. tfbuckfutter - Nov 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM

What the hell?

You don’t get to have TWO Mr. Octobers, Red Sox.

6. proudlycanadian - Nov 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Since the Red Sox leak like a sieve, this story might actually have some substance.

7. markofapro - Nov 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Rangers?

8. drewzducks - Nov 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM

9. pastabelly - Nov 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM

This could be Beltran to left, Nava to first, Gomes to platoon, and unfortunately, a goodbye to Napoli.

• MLBlogsbig3bosox - Nov 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Actually this what I first thought, but I refuse to accept it.

• pastabelly - Nov 19, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I don’t like it, but it makes sense. It’s possible that negotiations with Napoli aren’t going well. He might want 3/45 and they might see him as 2/28. They might still feel burned by the 2008 Lowell signing. This will play itself out soon.

• Kevin S. - Nov 19, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Would that even be an upgrade? You lose defensively at two positions, Beltran isn’t really a better offensive player than Napoli, and you downgrade your draft pick about ten spots or so.

• MLBlogsbig3bosox - Nov 19, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Which 2 positions? You would only lose Napoli’s glove in this scenario. Beltran’s defense in tiny LF of Fenway would be equal to the one Nava/Gomes provided this year. The draft pick would be kind of gained back if Boston loses Napoli (remember he declined his qualifying offer).

• Kevin S. - Nov 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Yes, hence the “downgrading ten spots or so” comment – the Sox would go from the second-to-last non-comp pick in the first round to a pick at the back end of the comp picks pack.

And you’re right about the left field defense. I just figured Beltran’s knees would make him a downgrade versus whoever he replaced defensively, but Nava and Gomes aren’t really much to write home about defensively either.

• Kevin S. - Nov 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM

And ten picks probably overstates how far they’d drop. They’d drop thirteen spots if the Cardinals sign none of the QO free agents and all of the QO free agents change teams, but at the very least I think the Yankees are only getting one comp pick and Seattle, for some reason, wants to give Kendrys Morales a multi-year deal. That makes ten picks the most they can drop.

• jerjack04938 - Nov 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM

What strikeout didn’t you see?

• quintjs - Nov 20, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Assuming Ellsbury and Drew leave, then the Red Sox are down a couple of good bats (Drew was decent when not in the playoffs..)

So.. Beltran in RF (want his LH bat), Victorino in CF, Nava/ Gomes in LF, bring back Napoli for First and Bradley waiting in the wings in the minors. That would leave Middlebrooks and Bogaerts on the left side of infield. You almost need both Napoli and Beltran if you play that combo in the infield – great potential but you couldn’t rely on anything. There are health concerns in the team so Nava/ Gomes/ Bradley would get plenty of game time.

• jerjack04938 - Nov 21, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I like that concept if Beltran can’t play first. Nava has the experience already in left. Beltran, in my opinion, was the best pure hitter St Louis had in the lineup (made me the most nervous).
      Missing Napoli means missing about 170 K”s a year.

10. Carl Hancock - Nov 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM

The last time the Red Sox beat the Cardinals in the World Series the Red Sox signed away Cardinals shortstop Edgar Renteria. That didn’t exactly work out for them. Will history repeat itself with the older Carlos Beltran?

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM

You’re forgetting one factor….Theo Epstein signed Renteria. Not current GM Cherington.

However I’m sure Epstein is interested in Pete Kozma.

VERY interested.

• quintjs - Nov 20, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I would bet Epsteins approval rating in Boston at the time of that deal was similar to Cherington’s now…

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 20, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Actually, I recall people being mighty mighty disappointed seeing Orlando Cabrera leave.

11. taron2in1 - Nov 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM

The rich get richer. That would be a nice move for Boston……Let’s Go Phillies!!!

• 18thstreet - Nov 20, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Yes, the poor, poor Phillies.

12. xxakshunxx - Nov 19, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I thought the knock on Beltran was he didn’t wanna play in a big markets on the east coast?

• paperlions - Nov 20, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Which is why he signed a long term deal with the Mets?

13. phillysports1 - Nov 20, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Beltran RF. Shane CF . Nava / Gomes platoon . Bradley late game pinch runner replacement . Ortiz FULL TIME DH . lol

• pastabelly - Nov 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM

How exactly is Bradley being properly developed if his time is wasted on the bench as a pinch runner / replacement? This is, by far, the most out there scenario posted anywhere.

The most likely scenario was in Lauber’s Herald articl today that Beltran is a back up plan should Napoli leave. Beltran cannot play right field full time in Fenway Park. It’s the toughest outfield position at Fenway to play. Victorino will stay there and Bradley, if he’s ready, will be playing CF. Beltran will play left and Nava will go to first, only if Napoli leaves.

14. stackers1 - Nov 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Can’t wait to see Beltran grow a ZZ Top-like beard.

15. stevequinn - Nov 20, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I hate to see Beltran leave St. Louis and it may come back to bite the Cardinals. With ST. Louis badly needing a SS, you can figure Matt Adams will be used in a trade. That means Craig is the everyday first baseman leaving a hole in RF. So the Cardinals will be looking for both a center and right fielder. Anybody who thinks Jon Jay is an everyday center fielder is smoking crack.

• paperlions - Nov 20, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Losing Beltran shouldn’t be an issue. Taveras is close to ready, can play some center, but profiles more as a RFer. Beltran’s knees are killing him, his defense was already bad in 2012, and it was horrible in 2013. The Cardinals also have Piscotty about a year away. His bat has been developing well, some power, some walks, plenty of speed for his size, hardly Ks at all, great OF arm. With a solid year in 2014, he’ll probably be up in September.

The Cardinals do need a real CFer for defensive purposes, and something more than a warm body at SS. But RF isn’t really a problem if they keep Craig and Adams for now and move one when Taveras is ready, which may be in April.

• spudchukar - Nov 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM

The more I think about the 2014 roster the more I believe it will look a lot like 2013 without Beltran. Maybe a move for a SS, but I see no one at this time that makes a legitimate match. I’m not sold on Profar as a SS, or a hitter and I imagine the Cards brass might agree. Andrus’ defense is special, but his bat isn’t. And Profar is a serious question mark, and not worth say Taveras.

Nobody is going to give up much for Freese, and he is more valuable as a role player than anybody he can get in return. Lynn is expendable, but unless he can bring a SS or CF of significance then moving him makes no sense.

I’m already considering re-signing Furcal, and see if he cannot rebound. It is a better option, than Peralta or Cabrera (Asdrubal, that is).

I think you are a little too optimistic on Piscotty. He may get a call-up in September, but he hasn’t even played a full year at AA, and hasn’t shown much power for a corner outfielder.

• paperlions - Nov 20, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I agree, I don’t think next year’s team will look all that different. Although it seems obvious that the Cardinals can/should deal their pitching depth for a SS, I am not sure that the teams with the viable options will matchup well in terms of both need and value. I could see a deal for Drew or Peralta (who seems under-rated in comparison to Drew) to address SS and not much else changing. I’d love to see Kozma DFAed just so that he’s no longer an option….not that any team would pick him up.

Piscotty hit 15 HRs in 475 PAs as a 22 yr old. That is solid power production for that age. He can hit. Of course, he may stumble or just suck in AAA, but he has done well at every stop so far and they’ve been pushing him as soon as he adjusts and starts raking at each level. I’m not penciling him in the MLB lineup, but his approach, contact rates, and general performance has been encouraging ever since he signed, with no red flags so far.

• spudchukar - Nov 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I want no part of Peralta. He is no longer a big league SS. I would rather have another year of Kozma than the Tiger SS. Even a step-slower Furcal is an upgrade defensively.

I agree Piscotty projects well, just not until 2016.

But when I see teams clamoring for the likes of Hudson, Floyd or Arroyo, and avoiding dealing with the Cards for Lynn, it becomes apparent the likelihood of a trade for a SS or CF is improbable.

It is a lot safer to overspend than make a risky trade.

• paperlions - Nov 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Agree on the trade thing….teams are now much more willing to spend money than they are to trade talent, they all have money to spare….talent? not so much.

Surprisingly, Peralta’s defense isn’t that horrible…he just looks bad because he’s fat….I don’t love him either as the bat seems to come and go. I’m just tired of being disappointed by Kozma and Descalso, I want to be disappointed by someone new at SS.

• spudchukar - Nov 20, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Well, sign Peralta, and your wish will come true. Look even the Tigers who probably value defense less than any organization I know bailed on him at SS. Not to mention the PED situation.

I just don’t want the Cards to make a bad deal, cause of the apparent need at SS. I would rather take a flyer on a AAA prospect who is good with the glove, has some speed, and shows some promise with the bat.

And I re-iterate. Furcal is a better option than Peralta.

You cannot be fat and play short stop.

16. thepittsburghkid - Nov 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM

How much you think he has left in the tank? I’m saying two years tops. He’s a great player but will decline this year.

17. redsoxs183 - Nov 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I don’t if I’m confused or you guys are.. If I’m right under the new agreement the docs won’t lose their draft pick because we are in the top 10 so it’s a protected draft pick the other team will receive a compensation pick in the second round?

• paperlions - Nov 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM

A team loses a draft pick for any player they sign that rejected a QO. Top 10 picks are protected, teams lose their next highest pick whether that is a comp pick or their 2nd rounder, and will lose their next highest pick for each additional QO guy they sign.

Comp picks are ALL between the 1st and 2nd round with order determined by previous year’s standings. That order is already determined.

18. dstroi - Nov 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Are they getting rid of Jacoby Ellsbury for sure? I wouldn’t mind the addition of Beltran. Why couldn’t he just hit after or before Ortiz in the batting order like Ramirez once did? I believe Stephen Drew is bouncing like a bad check so there should be some open roster spots. Although, I do like Napoli so I am kind of hell bent on this situation.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto