Nov 19, 2013, 10:44 PM EST
From Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News comes word the the Indians have reached agreement on a two-year contract with free agent outfielder David Murphy. It’s expected to be worth more than $10 million, though no exact figure has been released.
Murphy posted a career-worst .656 OPS in 2013, but the left-handed hitter had a .304/.380/.479 slash line in 2012 and fits nicely into an outfield platoon with the right-handed-hitting Ryan Raburn in Cleveland.
Murphy spent seven years with the Texas Rangers, batting .275/.337/.440 with 85 home runs and 362 RBI in 826 games. He was a first-round pick of the Red Sox (at No. 17 overall) in the 2003 MLB Amateur Draft.
The 32-year-old could prove to be a nice pickup in a market of massive deals.
Cleveland will likely either trade or non-tender the now-expendable Drew Stubbs.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)