Nov 19, 2013, 6:30 AM EDT
Go this exclusive story from the New York Post for the details of a meeting between Jay-Z, and Robinson Cano‘s CAA agent Brodie Van Wagenen with the Mets’ Jeff Wilpon and Sandy Aldrerson. Stay for the hilarious, 1970s Topps traded card-quality airbrush job of Cano in a Mets uniform.
As for the meeting: it was initiated by Jay-Z and Cano’s people, not the Mets. If you’re the Mets you obviously go to the meeting — dinner at a hotel — because, crap, Jay-Z is paying for your dinner and you can bet that it’s gonna be way more fabulous than whatever other agents like Paul Kinzer or whoever treat you to (no offense, Paul, but you’re not Jay-Z).
If you’re Cano’s people I’m not sure why you think this helps your client much. For a threat to work it has to be credible and there’s no way on God’s green Earth that the Mets are going to sign or even make an offer for Cano, so I’m sure the Yankees aren’t exactly worried that Wilpon and Alderson broke bread with Jay-Z and the guys. The Post story suggests that maybe they just want practice making their sales pitch. We’ll go with that.
But really: check out the picture of Cano in a Mets uniform. It’s lovely.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 2
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 1
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 49
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)