Nov 19, 2013, 6:30 AM EDT
Go this exclusive story from the New York Post for the details of a meeting between Jay-Z, and Robinson Cano‘s CAA agent Brodie Van Wagenen with the Mets’ Jeff Wilpon and Sandy Aldrerson. Stay for the hilarious, 1970s Topps traded card-quality airbrush job of Cano in a Mets uniform.
As for the meeting: it was initiated by Jay-Z and Cano’s people, not the Mets. If you’re the Mets you obviously go to the meeting — dinner at a hotel — because, crap, Jay-Z is paying for your dinner and you can bet that it’s gonna be way more fabulous than whatever other agents like Paul Kinzer or whoever treat you to (no offense, Paul, but you’re not Jay-Z).
If you’re Cano’s people I’m not sure why you think this helps your client much. For a threat to work it has to be credible and there’s no way on God’s green Earth that the Mets are going to sign or even make an offer for Cano, so I’m sure the Yankees aren’t exactly worried that Wilpon and Alderson broke bread with Jay-Z and the guys. The Post story suggests that maybe they just want practice making their sales pitch. We’ll go with that.
But really: check out the picture of Cano in a Mets uniform. It’s lovely.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 71
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 216
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (216)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)