Nov 19, 2013, 6:30 AM EDT
Go this exclusive story from the New York Post for the details of a meeting between Jay-Z, and Robinson Cano‘s CAA agent Brodie Van Wagenen with the Mets’ Jeff Wilpon and Sandy Aldrerson. Stay for the hilarious, 1970s Topps traded card-quality airbrush job of Cano in a Mets uniform.
As for the meeting: it was initiated by Jay-Z and Cano’s people, not the Mets. If you’re the Mets you obviously go to the meeting — dinner at a hotel — because, crap, Jay-Z is paying for your dinner and you can bet that it’s gonna be way more fabulous than whatever other agents like Paul Kinzer or whoever treat you to (no offense, Paul, but you’re not Jay-Z).
If you’re Cano’s people I’m not sure why you think this helps your client much. For a threat to work it has to be credible and there’s no way on God’s green Earth that the Mets are going to sign or even make an offer for Cano, so I’m sure the Yankees aren’t exactly worried that Wilpon and Alderson broke bread with Jay-Z and the guys. The Post story suggests that maybe they just want practice making their sales pitch. We’ll go with that.
But really: check out the picture of Cano in a Mets uniform. It’s lovely.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)