Jay-Z meets with the Mets about Robinson Cano

Nov 19, 2013, 6:30 AM EST

cano gray getty Getty Images

Go this exclusive story from the New York Post for the details of a meeting between Jay-Z, and Robinson Cano‘s CAA agent Brodie Van Wagenen with the Mets’ Jeff Wilpon and Sandy Aldrerson. Stay for the hilarious, 1970s Topps traded card-quality airbrush job of Cano in a Mets uniform.

As for the meeting: it was initiated by Jay-Z and Cano’s people, not the Mets. If you’re the Mets you obviously go to the meeting — dinner at a hotel — because, crap, Jay-Z is paying for your dinner and you can bet that it’s gonna be way more fabulous than whatever other agents like Paul Kinzer or whoever treat you to (no offense, Paul, but you’re not Jay-Z).

If you’re Cano’s people I’m not sure why you think this helps your client much. For a threat to work it has to be credible and there’s no way on God’s green Earth that the Mets are going to sign or even make an offer for Cano, so I’m sure the Yankees aren’t exactly worried that Wilpon and Alderson broke bread with Jay-Z and the guys. The Post story suggests that maybe they just want practice making their sales pitch. We’ll go with that.

But really: check out the picture of Cano in a Mets uniform. It’s lovely.

1. blynch67 - Nov 19, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Maybe the Mets brass were hoping for one of those Jeter baskets?

2. proudlycanadian - Nov 19, 2013 at 6:50 AM

I am glad that the meeting was “secret”. I am sure that the Mets do not want the Yankees to find out and laugh at them.

• alexo0 - Nov 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I think more people are laughing at Jay-Z right now.

3. uyf1950 - Nov 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I have to say for the first time on this blog I’m at a loss for words.

4. butchhuskey - Nov 19, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Jay-Z met with the Mets because he heard they have 99 problems.

• mtr75 - Nov 19, 2013 at 8:08 AM

But second base ain’t one.

• paperlions - Nov 19, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Well, yeah, it is….but about 80 of the other are liquid assets.

5. phillysports1 - Nov 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I wouldn’t be surprise if he ends up in a mets uniform .. Js

• aphillieated - Nov 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM

where do you get your weed from, man?

• bigharold - Nov 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM

“I wouldn’t be surprise if he ends up in a mets uniform..”

I double dog dare Cano to sign with the Mets.

If he does and “Cano’d” will become a verb meaning; to destroy ones career and render oneself irrelevant with a single poorly thought out decision. And Jay Z will be so ridiculed his music career will implode.

6. chill1184 - Nov 19, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Alderson won’t buy into Jay-Z’s pitch and Cano imo just screams Jason Bay 2.0

7. 18thstreet - Nov 19, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Actually, this is an interesting article. This sentence is new information:

“He asked the Yankees for a 10-year, $310 million contract, and the Yankees countered with a seven-year offer for between $161 and $168 million.”

So I wonder if the other bidders — in my imagination, the Orioles, Nationals, and Braves — will top $24 million a year for seven years. I don’t think the Orioles and Braves have ever paid anyone that much. I think the Orioles’ biggest contract ever is Markakis at 6 years/$66.1M (2009-14), plus 2015 option. The Braves’ highest paid player, currently, is BJ Upton 5 years/$75.25M (2013-17). It’s a long way from $70 million to $170 million — makes me think that they’re just not going to be part of the bidding. For the Nats, their biggest contract is the Werth one, so we know they’re willing to spend a lot AND offer lots of years.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 19, 2013 at 9:10 AM

• 18thstreet - Nov 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Thanks. Still the same ballpark, though. We know that Duquette is willing to sign long-term, expensive deals because he did so with the Red Sox. What we don’t know is if the owner is willing to agree.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I don’t think so. They’re saving their money for Chris Davis and Manny Machado.

• 18thstreet - Nov 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I agree. That’s (among the reasons) why I think it’s down to the Yankees and the Nationals.

I mean, if you’re looking for a home for Cano, it needs to be a team that needs a second baseman, is ready to compete now or soon (which I think excludes the Cubs) because you don’t want to spend $25 million on a player THIS year hoping you’ll be good enough NEXT year, and has shown itself willing to pay $100 million-plus for a contract. It’s a short list.

And even the Nationals — they’d have to accept the idea that Rendon is going to be the third baseman and that Zimmerman needs to move to first. I don’t think they’re ready to accept that idea.

The Yankees may end up paying Cano less that the amounts cited in the NY Post article. I really believe that.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Yea, I think Cano is significantly over-valuing his place in the current market. I believe many teams are starting to see that signing older players to long term insane contracts are a very bad idea. There isn’t much market for a second baseman at 25+ mil a season, no matter how many home-runs he hits. There are just too many offensive players out there that are of better value. (I’d take a second baseman with significantly worse offensive performance at 3 million a year over a Cano at 30+).

I feel pretty confident he will remain a Yankee, (although you make a good case for the Nationals), but it will be at a MUCH more reasonable rate, probably in the 23-25 mil at a MAX of 8 years.

8. clydeserra - Nov 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Way to go outside of their comfort zone. Its too bad all the teams aren’t in NY. then Jay-z’s people could meet everyone.

I wonder if they know where Cincinnati is?

9. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 19, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Reports claim that Jay Z asked the Mets for 310 million after a few beers. I have exclusive video of the Mets response:

10. mantastic54 - Nov 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I’d say he has a better chance of getting a full no trade clause with the marlins than signing with the mets

11. sfm073 - Nov 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM

How do you mess up the very first word in the article?

12. aphillieated - Nov 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Cool story bro

13. deathmonkey41 - Nov 19, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Yankees need to stick to their guns. If some other team wants to offer this guy anything near 10 yrs or 300 mil, all the power to them.

14. aphillieated - Nov 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Simple!

Who’s a better player Cano or Pujols? Pujols by a lot. duh!

How much did Pujols get? $240 million, which everyone agrees was outrageously high.

How much does Cano wants? $310 million.

Sin Tally: 221

Sentence to who ever gives Cano $310 million: HELL!

15. joestemme - Nov 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Maybe, Jay-Z is offering the Mets a $50M kickback: “Hey, Mets, here’s $50M – don’t tell anybody. Now, just publically offer us a $300M deal, but, we’ll give you back $50M, so it’ll only cost you $250M! Plus, heck, the Yankees will freak and “match” your bid! Win-Win!”

16. lawyermalloy - Nov 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Once again, here is a glowing example why NOT to let a Rap star and his “peeps” represent you in MLB contract negotiations. This agent hasn’t a clue what he’s doing. A talent such as Cano should NEVER, EVER seek to a perspective team, especially a team that don’t spend the kind of money he’s seeking. It’s obvious “team Z”, in their inadequit thinking,hope the Yankees will somehow panic if the cross town team was thinking of signing Cano. If “Zs” people did their homework they’d know that signing with the Mets will never happen.
    It’s hard to believe that a player of Cano’s caliber would fire the most successful agent in history of sports and hire a NOBODY.

17. chiadam - Nov 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Jay-Z will just find a really good contract, copy it almost exactly, and add “Rocafella yo” a few times. Then everyone will love it. Who cares if he looks like a sad turtle?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6186)