Nov 19, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
In a move that might add a little more steam to the Ike Davis trade rumors, the Mets signed first baseman Brandon Allen to a minor-league contract.
Odds are the Allen deal is mostly just for organizational depth, as the 27-year-old has struggled in various big-league stints. He does, however, have very good numbers in the minors, including a .902 OPS and 80 homers in 401 games at Triple-A, and might be a productive left-handed hitting portion of a platoon if needed.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)