Nov 19, 2013, 11:36 PM EST
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com shares the following breaking news:
Free-agent starter Josh Johnson has reached agreement on a one-year, guaranteed $8 million contract with the San Diego Padres, a baseball source told ESPN.com.
The deal includes additional performance bonuses based on games started, the source said. Johnson was in San Diego for a physical exam Tuesday and the contract is expected to be announced by the club Wednesday.
The Padres are a nice fit for Johnson, who will be looking to revitalize his career after posting a rough 6.20 ERA in 2013 for the Blue Jays. San Diego’s Petco Park is one of the more pitcher-friendly environments in the big leagues — even with the recent wall tweaks — and Johnson should be able to produce far better numbers if he’s healthy.
Johnson, 29, drew interest from the Giants, Pirates and Royals before settling Tuesday with the Friars.
He had a 3.15 ERA in 916 2/3 innings with the Marlins before being shipped to Toronto last winter.
UPDATE, 11:45 p.m. ET: Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors says Johnson can earn $1.25 million on top of the $8 million guaranteed if he makes 26 starts. Also from Dierkes: the Pirates were the runners up.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)