The Pirates are a finalist to sign Josh Johnson

Nov 19, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT

josh johnson blue jays getty Getty Images

In an offseason when players are making a lot more money than we thought they might, a guy with a of recent injuries who is probably only in the market for a one year, make-good deal might be worth the risk. Exhibit A: Josh Johnson, who is said to have interest from three or four teams.

Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review was told by Johnson’s agent that the Pirates are one of the finalists to sign his client. The other teams aren’t known, but he has been linked in reports to the Giants and Padres, presumably on the basis of taking the “head to the NL West and remake your career in pitcher-friendly parks” cure.

Johnson had a pretty crappy 2013, with a 2-8 record and 6.20 ERA in 81.1 IP. But his velocity was fine and his strikeout rate was actually good when he was healthy, so he’s definitely worth taking a chance on, right?

1. paperlions - Nov 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Are the BBWAA voting on this as well?

• missthemexpos - Nov 19, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Sure, why not a pre-season award for the Pitcher most likely to rebound from a putrid year.

2. Francisco (FC) - Nov 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Finalist? Is Josh distributing roses to MLB teams?

3. chip56 - Nov 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM

If I was running a National League team I would absolutely sign him. He and Phil Hughes are probably the two best “buy low” guys on the market right now in terms of getting talent without having to make a long term commitment because of their recent craptastic performances.

4. knowlegeforyou - Nov 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I think the braves have a 2 year window to win. A bounce back from Johnson would help their chances in the short term. I wonder if Fedi has expressed a desire to sign him

5. drone501 - Nov 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM

word on the street is that he’s signing with the pirates. my sources tell me its etched in stone.

6. thomas844 - Nov 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Burnett and Liriano revitalized their careers in Pittsburgh. I don’t see why Johnson can’t do the same. I think it’s worth a shot for the Bucs.

Orioles turn AL East on its head