The Tea Party and the Sierra Club are joining forces to protest the new Braves ballpark

Nov 19, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT

Cobb County

I’m not sure if the Tea Party and the Sierra Club getting together on an issue means that the Braves ballpark is crazy-bad or, somehow, actually good. But it is something to see them joining forces to protest the place.

I do know, however, or at the very least suspect that the fact that super silence was kept about the Braves moving to Cobb County while certain in-the-know businessmen were able to sneak in at the last minute and buy up land surrounding the ballpark will be the focus of most of the eventual controversy about the place.

The details behind all of those things and more can be read over at Field of Schemes’ roundup of the latest Braves ballpark news.

1. sportsdrenched - Nov 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM

As a fiscal conservative and an outdoors guy…they should get together more often. After all, I thought the whole point of being conservative was to conserve ALL of your recourses; Monetary and Natural.

• aceshigh11 - Nov 19, 2013 at 12:00 PM

That’s really funny.

Maybe you’ve been in a coma over the last three decades, but there is ZERO Venn diagram overlap between conservatives and environmentalists.

Nixon only created the EPA due to intense political pressure from Ralph Nader and environmental groups. Ever since then, it’s been accepted dogma on the right that it must be completely abolished.

• raysfan1 - Nov 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Actually, I will second sportsdrenched as another fiscal conservative who is also environmentally conscious. Thus, the Venn diagram overlap is not zero. Regardless, he did not say such an amalgamation happens routinely, rather that it should.

Also he did not say anything about what politicians label as conservative, either. The two main political parties both are really only about power, money for themselves, getting elected and getting re-elected.

• paperlions - Nov 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM

In general, fiscally conservative and environmentalism do go hand in hand. The problem is that we don’t actually have a political party that is fiscally conservative (we really don’t have one that favors environmental conservation either, just one that isn’t as brazen in their disregard) and people conflate the brand of conservatism pedaled by the Republicans as fiscal conservatism, which it is not…they just want to spend money on different things that Democrats do and to tax things differently than Democrats do.

• bobulated - Nov 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Newt Gingrich has written about environmental conservation from a Conservative standpoint and is a big supporter of the ATL Zoo;

Not that I agree with him but it is out there that some conservatives do care about the environment but in a much different way than the mainstream liberal driven green movement that we’ve grown accustomed to over the last 50 years.

• sportsdrenched - Nov 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I will admit to being too young to remember 1/3 of the last 30 years. BUT, I do get the political dynamics of our time. I’m just saying it shouldn’t be that way.

There has to be a better way for civil discourse than pigeon holing people into political groups, especially when you only have two options. Once you’re in those two camps the objective is to oppose any idea coming from the other side.

Don’t beleive me. Just look up the 2006 debt ceiling debate and then contrast with our two latest debates.

No one actually gets together and comes up with a solution to solve problems. If the Fiscal Conservatives (which is what the Tea Party was when it started, and has devolved from there) & Enviormentalists can get together on an issue. I think that’s a good thing.

• stex52 - Nov 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Let me weigh in as a fiscal conservative, social moderate-to-liberal, and very intensely involved supporter of the environment. Conservative as it should be defined and has been in the past is interested in conservation in all things.

Don’t mistake the stuff presently on the modern right as anything approaching normal. I concur strongly with Paper in his assessment.

• nsauser - Nov 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Call the party the TreeOP!

2. raysfan1 - Nov 19, 2013 at 11:06 AM

What? There’s insider dealing going on? A development proposal that has been done behind closed doors, despite using public/government funds, might be a bit shady? I’m flabbergasted! /s

It would be equally not surprising to find out there are relationships between county commissioners and developers here either.

• doctornature - Nov 19, 2013 at 11:57 AM

It’s the American way. It’s a far shorter list to name government/business/city council/county commissioners that AREN’T crooks, just like the insider trading on Wall Street. But for a country that butchered the original inhabitants of this land and wage war to protect our way of life, this isn’t really news. Just another day at the Greed Factory.

• paperlions - Nov 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Nah, Americans just copied how everyone else had always done such things….this the human way.

• sabatimus - Nov 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Yep. One of my first thoughts when I read it: “That’s basically insider trading, only without Wall Street.”

3. gg206 - Nov 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I bet Chip Caray is put in a tough spot about this one.. Luckily he didn’t work for Teddie T

4. chill1184 - Nov 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Nice to see opposition to corporate welfare once in a great while.

5. skids003 - Nov 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM

About like the current ACA nightmare, all behind closed doors.

• clydeserra - Nov 19, 2013 at 2:29 PM

nightmare?

• Anoesis - Nov 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Not really very much alike at all. One is to benefit haves, one is to benefit have-nots (mostly). I’ll leave you to ponder which is which.

• asimonetti88 - Nov 19, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Kind of confused. They both benefit haves (one, insurance companies, the other, the Braves).

6. joshtown81 - Nov 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM

“I’m also not sure why a ballpark that was partially premised on the idea that Turner Field had inadequate parking will sport 2,500 fewer parking spaces and will rely on a system of golf-carts to ferry people from nearby mall parking lots. But what do I know?”

Well, seeing as the new stadium will offer about 10,000 fewer seats than the Ted did, I would say losing 2,500 parking spaces makes sense.

Secondly, living here in Atlanta, the national media seems to be a lot more outraged about this than people here do. I’ve been a Braves fan all my life, and when that announcement came down, I think I had a good ten minutes of “wtf?!” followed by a calming period, and then I came around, like most people in town have.

I completely understand how absurd it is to abandon a ballpark after such a short period, and to leave the city-center of downtown. But for most of you who DON’T get to watch our local news every night, we’ve heard rumblings and plans and ideas about renovating the area around the Ted since before its BEEN the Ted. The city has dragged its feet for decades, and unless you’re in one of the official Braves parking lots, you don’t really enjoy walking around down there. I’ve had two incidences personally, and several friends have had other problems, whether it be theft, harassment, broken car windows, etc.

That, coupled with the Braves complete lack of control to upgrade anything since it’s leased through the city, was a recipe for disaster. I’m not a FAN of leaving downtown and going out to the suburbs, but Craig you have to get off this kick about how bad it is for everybody. Everyone I’ve spoken with, passing fans, season ticket holders, they all had the same reaction. A quick “how could they leave?!” followed by a “oh of course they should leave, that makes sense.”

Moving to the top of the perimeter gives a LOT of fans a much shorter drive, and instead of being stuck in traffic on 75/85 towards Capitol Ave, we’ll now be stuck in traffic on 75/285, towards the Galleria. I promise Braves fans, at least local fans here in Atlanta, arn’t as upset as you want us to be. I know you’re a Braves fan, but try living in our shoes on a daily basis going to Turner Field before you decide what a terrible idea it is.

• clydeserra - Nov 19, 2013 at 2:35 PM

so you ad the people you talk to are OK with wasting tax money for the benefit of billionaires?

• bravojawja - Nov 19, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Well, I guess we don’t know any of the same people, but Atlanta’s a pretty big town so that’s not surprising.

Most everybody I know is upset about this, but is perfectly willing to let Cobb County waste its money on this hypocrisy of theirs (and the Braves’). Granted, most of my friends are ITP, but even those OTP aren’t all that thrilled — their taxes are going up, their county services are going down, their commute is going (further) to hell, or they won’t be able to get to the games across the top end of the Perimeter without transit.

Y’all have fun with a giant boondoggle planted squarely in what otherwise looks like a lovely little piece of land, yet another stretch of trees that Cobb, like the rest of the burbs, is more than happy to cut down for some new asphalt, concrete, and glass.

7. bravojawja - Nov 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM

The Tea Party and Sierra Club teamed up last year to help defeat the metro’s TSPLOST (transportation special purpose local option sales tax) that would have brought transit to Cobb County and improved transit throughout the region. They did so for the exact opposite reasons, but it worked.

8. nsauser - Nov 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Why not get the Goldwater Group. I don’t think they have anything to do now that the Phoenix Coyotes are staying in Phoenix, err Glendale. The Goldwater Group pretends to act as the Robin Hood of public funding.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3297)