Nov 19, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
If your team is getting old the best thing to do is to go young. If you can’t go young, the next best thing I suppose is to bring in old players who don’t ever age. To that end:
The Post has also learned the Yankees have an interest in bringing back the popular and productive Raul Ibanez to be the DH against right-handed pitching. Some voices within the organization believe it was a mistake to let Ibanez leave following the 2012 season, when Ibanez grew impatient waiting and signed for a second stint with the Mariners.
Ibanez, at this point, is homers and not much else. His line for 2013: .242/.306/.487, 29 HR in 454 AB. Which is better than a kick to the back of the head, but if the power suddenly goes — and it tends to do that with guys over 40 at some point, he’s not worth a diddly-durn. Of course he’d almost certainly be back on a one-year deal, and there really is no such thing as a bad one-year deal.
That column from George King and Ken Davidoff also links the Yankees with approximately eleventeen other free agents, suggesting that the Yankees are casting as wide a net as possible to grab a couple of needed pieces.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)