Nov 19, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
If your team is getting old the best thing to do is to go young. If you can’t go young, the next best thing I suppose is to bring in old players who don’t ever age. To that end:
The Post has also learned the Yankees have an interest in bringing back the popular and productive Raul Ibanez to be the DH against right-handed pitching. Some voices within the organization believe it was a mistake to let Ibanez leave following the 2012 season, when Ibanez grew impatient waiting and signed for a second stint with the Mariners.
Ibanez, at this point, is homers and not much else. His line for 2013: .242/.306/.487, 29 HR in 454 AB. Which is better than a kick to the back of the head, but if the power suddenly goes — and it tends to do that with guys over 40 at some point, he’s not worth a diddly-durn. Of course he’d almost certainly be back on a one-year deal, and there really is no such thing as a bad one-year deal.
That column from George King and Ken Davidoff also links the Yankees with approximately eleventeen other free agents, suggesting that the Yankees are casting as wide a net as possible to grab a couple of needed pieces.
- Carlos Beltran diagnosed with facial fractures after batting practice mishap 6
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 14
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 26
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 45
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (163)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)