Nov 19, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
If your team is getting old the best thing to do is to go young. If you can’t go young, the next best thing I suppose is to bring in old players who don’t ever age. To that end:
The Post has also learned the Yankees have an interest in bringing back the popular and productive Raul Ibanez to be the DH against right-handed pitching. Some voices within the organization believe it was a mistake to let Ibanez leave following the 2012 season, when Ibanez grew impatient waiting and signed for a second stint with the Mariners.
Ibanez, at this point, is homers and not much else. His line for 2013: .242/.306/.487, 29 HR in 454 AB. Which is better than a kick to the back of the head, but if the power suddenly goes — and it tends to do that with guys over 40 at some point, he’s not worth a diddly-durn. Of course he’d almost certainly be back on a one-year deal, and there really is no such thing as a bad one-year deal.
That column from George King and Ken Davidoff also links the Yankees with approximately eleventeen other free agents, suggesting that the Yankees are casting as wide a net as possible to grab a couple of needed pieces.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)