Nov 20, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT
I’ve spoken in the past with John Fitzgerald of the Baseball United Foundation. He’s a good guy who is part of a cool organization, the goal of which is to fgrow the game of baseball in places where the game is relatively new. Places like Ireland, where the game has started to take hold over the past decade or two.
Chicago White Sox scout John Tumminia and former MLB pitcher Rob Bell will be leading the group of baseball pros – known as The Baseball Miracles group – with the help of the Baseball United Foundation. The group is scheduled to visit Dublin and Limerick in January 2014.
“The clinics will help to further establish the game of youth baseball in Ireland,” explained Baseball United Foundation founder John Fitzgerald. “We’re very excited to bring such a high caliber of coaching and instruction to the kids who are playing the game in Dublin and those who want to begin playing in Limerick.”
Baseball was very much a game for Irish immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th century. Kinda cool that it’s taking hold back home now.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (221)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)