Nov 20, 2013, 9:43 AM EST
I’ve spoken in the past with John Fitzgerald of the Baseball United Foundation. He’s a good guy who is part of a cool organization, the goal of which is to fgrow the game of baseball in places where the game is relatively new. Places like Ireland, where the game has started to take hold over the past decade or two.
Chicago White Sox scout John Tumminia and former MLB pitcher Rob Bell will be leading the group of baseball pros – known as The Baseball Miracles group – with the help of the Baseball United Foundation. The group is scheduled to visit Dublin and Limerick in January 2014.
“The clinics will help to further establish the game of youth baseball in Ireland,” explained Baseball United Foundation founder John Fitzgerald. “We’re very excited to bring such a high caliber of coaching and instruction to the kids who are playing the game in Dublin and those who want to begin playing in Limerick.”
Baseball was very much a game for Irish immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th century. Kinda cool that it’s taking hold back home now.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)