Nov 20, 2013, 3:23 PM EDT
Taking the Cardinals to the World Series in his second season as manager has earned Mike Matheny a three-year contract extension, the team announced at a press conference.
Matheny had zero managing experience when he took over for future Hall of Famer Tony La Russa, but the Cardinals are 185-139 in his two seasons at the helm and advanced past the first round of the playoffs both times.
This upcoming season would have been the final year on his original contract. His new deal will tack on three years to that, running through 2017.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11