Nov 20, 2013, 3:23 PM EDT
Taking the Cardinals to the World Series in his second season as manager has earned Mike Matheny a three-year contract extension, the team announced at a press conference.
Matheny had zero managing experience when he took over for future Hall of Famer Tony La Russa, but the Cardinals are 185-139 in his two seasons at the helm and advanced past the first round of the playoffs both times.
This upcoming season would have been the final year on his original contract. His new deal will tack on three years to that, running through 2017.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)