Nov 20, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
It’s not a transcript, but Christian Red and Teri Thompson of the New York Daily News have a summary of the cross-examination of Yankees President Randy Levine by Alex Rodriguez‘s attorneys at the arbitration yesterday. It sounds less than devastating.
Basically, Levine answers “no” to every possible question that looks calculated to elicit something negative. And, unless the Daily News is simply ignoring a searing impeachment of Levine later in the proceedings, there does not appear to be any followup by A-Rod’s lawyers on the denials of Levine.
Which is a pretty dumb way to approach a cross examination of a witness. The point is to score points and/or rebut the prosecution’s case against your client. To ask questions you already know the answers to so that you can demonstrate the witnesses’ lack of credibility or lack of knowledge or the weaknesses in the case against your guy. If you don’t have that kind of ammo, you don’t call the witness.
Here, it seems anyway, Tacopina just gave Randy Levine a platform to say “no, we don’t have anything against A-Rod and don’t stand to gain anything if he gets suspended.” In other words, he gave Levine a chance to undercut the very foundation of the case A-Rod’s representatives are allegedly making (i.e. that the fix is in to get A-Rod).
Maybe there’s another shoe to drop. Maybe this was a massive perjury trap for Levine and later some other witness will come on to undercut him. Maybe, however, there is nothing to those claims A-Rod’s legal team is making and they are stalling for time. Or playing to the cameras. Or … something.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (86)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)