Nov 20, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT
I wanna play poker with Jon Daniels. MLB.com’s Richard Justice talking about Rangers GM Jon Daniels in the Dallas Morning News:
“I think Nolan Ryan leaving really put the pressure on Jon Daniels to make a dramatic move. He’s the only GM that I heard last week at the meeting saying, ‘Our needs can’t be filled internally. We have to go outside and make a move.'”
I guess it’s money-where-your-mouth-is time for Daniels. The Rangers have been reported to be interested in Brian McCann and Jacoby Ellsbury. They’re losing Nelson Cruz, most likely. There has been talk that Ian Kinsler could be on the block. They could use some pop in that lineup.
There was talk that they’d make big moves last winter too, and it didn’t pan out. It’ll be interesting to see if Daniels, now clearly and solely at the helm of the Rangers, is able to make something happen.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69