Nov 20, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
On Twitter, ESPN’s Buster Olney says that the Royals have talked about pursuing Athletics starter Brett Anderson. As Ervin Santana is seeking more than $100 million in free agency, the Royals are looking elsewhere for their starting rotation needs.
The Athletics exercised the $8 million option on Anderson’s contract for the 2014 season. He has one more option worth $12 million for 2015 as well, so he is effectively under team control for two more years if they so desire.
The Royals, who finished at 86-76, just 5.5 games out of the second Wild Card in the American League, will be gearing up for another run in 2014 and Anderson would go along way towards solidifying a rotation led by James Shields.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)