Royals have had internal discussions about trading for Brett Anderson

Nov 20, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT

Brett Anderson Getty Getty Images

On Twitter, ESPN’s Buster Olney says that the Royals have talked about pursuing Athletics starter Brett Anderson. As Ervin Santana is seeking more than $100 million in free agency, the Royals are looking elsewhere for their starting rotation needs.

The Athletics exercised the $8 million option on Anderson’s contract for the 2014 season. He has one more option worth $12 million for 2015 as well, so he is effectively under team control for two more years if they so desire.

The Royals, who finished at 86-76, just 5.5 games out of the second Wild Card in the American League, will be gearing up for another run in 2014 and Anderson would go along way towards solidifying a rotation led by James Shields.

1. dhalb34 - Nov 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Being an A’s fan, I’ve always liked Brett Anderson. Problem is he can’t stay healthy.

2. kcroyal - Nov 20, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I really get nervous when Dayton attempts a trade, especially with a GM that is waaay smarter.

3. kcrobert10 - Nov 20, 2013 at 11:46 PM

He has a hard time staying healthy but is good when he is. I would have a hard time stomaching trading a lot for him.

• kcrobert10 - Nov 20, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Well I wish to correct my statement. He is worth a good amount of value. I don’t see the A’s as a good trade partner for us due to the fact they would want position players with good on base % and that’s not somethingwe do. Maybe hunter dozier but other than him I don’t know who else they would want.

4. proudlycanadian - Nov 21, 2013 at 8:06 AM

If the Royals let this news leak, it probably means that they discussed him and decided not to pursue a trade.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3667)