Nov 20, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
On Twitter, ESPN’s Buster Olney says that the Royals have talked about pursuing Athletics starter Brett Anderson. As Ervin Santana is seeking more than $100 million in free agency, the Royals are looking elsewhere for their starting rotation needs.
The Athletics exercised the $8 million option on Anderson’s contract for the 2014 season. He has one more option worth $12 million for 2015 as well, so he is effectively under team control for two more years if they so desire.
The Royals, who finished at 86-76, just 5.5 games out of the second Wild Card in the American League, will be gearing up for another run in 2014 and Anderson would go along way towards solidifying a rotation led by James Shields.
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 75
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 19
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 8
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 61
- World Series, Game 7: Giants vs. Royals lineups 3
- Remembering World Series Game 7s of the past 30 years 30
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)