Nov 20, 2013, 8:24 PM EST
Minutes ago, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reported that the Tigers and Rangers had been discussing a trade involving first baseman Prince Fielder and second baseman Ian Kinsler. Apparently, talks progressed quickly because both teams have agreed to a trade, Heyman reports.
Another player could be involved in the trade, but that has not been confirmed yet, nor have any possible details involving each player’s financial situation.
The Tigers will likely move Miguel Cabrera across the diamond to first base. The Tigers will some more financial flexibility with which to keep AL Cy Young award winner Max Scherzer around while they pursue a new third baseman. The Rangers, meanwhile, will fill the hole vacated by Kinsler at second base with Jurickson Profar while Fielder displaces Mitch Moreland at first base.
Update: Evan Grant tweets that the Rangers are, in fact, getting cash along with Fielder in the deal. Jon Morosi tweets that no other players are involved; it is a one-for-one trade. Jeff Passan reports that the Rangers are getting $30 million from the Tigers.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)