Nov 20, 2013, 8:24 PM EDT
Minutes ago, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reported that the Tigers and Rangers had been discussing a trade involving first baseman Prince Fielder and second baseman Ian Kinsler. Apparently, talks progressed quickly because both teams have agreed to a trade, Heyman reports.
Another player could be involved in the trade, but that has not been confirmed yet, nor have any possible details involving each player’s financial situation.
The Tigers will likely move Miguel Cabrera across the diamond to first base. The Tigers will some more financial flexibility with which to keep AL Cy Young award winner Max Scherzer around while they pursue a new third baseman. The Rangers, meanwhile, will fill the hole vacated by Kinsler at second base with Jurickson Profar while Fielder displaces Mitch Moreland at first base.
Update: Evan Grant tweets that the Rangers are, in fact, getting cash along with Fielder in the deal. Jon Morosi tweets that no other players are involved; it is a one-for-one trade. Jeff Passan reports that the Rangers are getting $30 million from the Tigers.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 40
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 28
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 77
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week (80)