Nov 20, 2013, 8:24 PM EDT
Minutes ago, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reported that the Tigers and Rangers had been discussing a trade involving first baseman Prince Fielder and second baseman Ian Kinsler. Apparently, talks progressed quickly because both teams have agreed to a trade, Heyman reports.
Another player could be involved in the trade, but that has not been confirmed yet, nor have any possible details involving each player’s financial situation.
The Tigers will likely move Miguel Cabrera across the diamond to first base. The Tigers will some more financial flexibility with which to keep AL Cy Young award winner Max Scherzer around while they pursue a new third baseman. The Rangers, meanwhile, will fill the hole vacated by Kinsler at second base with Jurickson Profar while Fielder displaces Mitch Moreland at first base.
Update: Evan Grant tweets that the Rangers are, in fact, getting cash along with Fielder in the deal. Jon Morosi tweets that no other players are involved; it is a one-for-one trade. Jeff Passan reports that the Rangers are getting $30 million from the Tigers.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 45
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 40
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)