Nov 20, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
GQ has released its Men of the Year issue. One of the sub-categories: Phenom of the Year. And the winner is Yasiel Puig. Because, with all due respect to Mr. Trout and Mr. Harper, Puig is way more interesting.
GQ spoke with the wonderfully-named Tim Bravo, who was tasked with looking out for Puig and keeping him out of trouble. Bravo makes it sound like it was a hard job, and I imagine it was. But there were some fun times too. Times of wonder:
At first, he couldn’t believe the big-league Gatorade selection—’Ay, Teacher, muchos colores de Gatorade!’ He loved that he could watch The Three Stooges whenever he wanted.
Based on his love of Gatorade and the Three Stooges, Puig is the second player I can compare to my eight year-old son this year.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 77
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 72
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (77)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (72)