Nov 20, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
GQ has released its Men of the Year issue. One of the sub-categories: Phenom of the Year. And the winner is Yasiel Puig. Because, with all due respect to Mr. Trout and Mr. Harper, Puig is way more interesting.
GQ spoke with the wonderfully-named Tim Bravo, who was tasked with looking out for Puig and keeping him out of trouble. Bravo makes it sound like it was a hard job, and I imagine it was. But there were some fun times too. Times of wonder:
At first, he couldn’t believe the big-league Gatorade selection—’Ay, Teacher, muchos colores de Gatorade!’ He loved that he could watch The Three Stooges whenever he wanted.
Based on his love of Gatorade and the Three Stooges, Puig is the second player I can compare to my eight year-old son this year.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (234)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (106)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)