Nov 21, 2013, 5:02 PM EST
Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Men like A-Rod’s lawyers, who told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York that they’re going to break confidentiality of the arbitration tomorrow and give all of the juicy stuff they say they have to the press:
“We’re going to open up everything,” said Ron Berkowitz, a spokesman for Rodriguez. “We’re going to show everything we have to the press so they can show it to the American public.”
Matthews speculates that the dump would include transcripts of witness testimony, sworn affidavits and information supplied to the Rodriguez team by an MLB-employee “whistle-blower.”
They can do that. And it can potentially embarrass Major League Baseball. But I don’t see how it changes their clients’ legal position. The arbitrator is still going to rule. The barriers that must be leapt to get out from under that penalty and into federal court remain exceedingly high.
At one time I assumed the scorched earth tactics were to force MLB to the settlement table. The league seems to have no desire to do that. So now, unless someone can tell me what this does for A-Rod tactically, this seems like spite and P.R. strategy.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)