Nov 21, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Men like A-Rod’s lawyers, who told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York that they’re going to break confidentiality of the arbitration tomorrow and give all of the juicy stuff they say they have to the press:
“We’re going to open up everything,” said Ron Berkowitz, a spokesman for Rodriguez. “We’re going to show everything we have to the press so they can show it to the American public.”
Matthews speculates that the dump would include transcripts of witness testimony, sworn affidavits and information supplied to the Rodriguez team by an MLB-employee “whistle-blower.”
They can do that. And it can potentially embarrass Major League Baseball. But I don’t see how it changes their clients’ legal position. The arbitrator is still going to rule. The barriers that must be leapt to get out from under that penalty and into federal court remain exceedingly high.
At one time I assumed the scorched earth tactics were to force MLB to the settlement table. The league seems to have no desire to do that. So now, unless someone can tell me what this does for A-Rod tactically, this seems like spite and P.R. strategy.
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 0
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 71
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)