Nov 21, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Already this offseason reports have linked David Freese to the Yankees and the Marlins, and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Angels have “discussed a trade” for the Cardinals third baseman.
St. Louis shopping Freese makes sense, because he’s coming off a down year and about to get expensive via arbitration. Plus, the Cardinals have top prospect Kolten Wong just about ready to step in at second base, which would allow them to replace Freese by shifting Matt Carpenter to third base.
Freese hit .262 with nine homers and a .721 OPS in 138 games this year, but made the All-Star team in 2012 while hitting .293 with 20 homers and an .839 OPS before going nuts in the playoffs.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 5
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)