Nov 21, 2013, 11:02 AM EST
People have been talking around this since the announcement of the Braves move to Cobb County last week, but today Neil deMause of Field of Schemes asks the question directly: are the Braves leaving Atlanta because their primarily white fans hate going to the predominantly black and, allegedly, crime-infested neighborhood in which Turner Field sits?
It’s the sort of thing no one would ever cop to. And the sort of thing where merely asking the question is likely to be looked at as needlessly provocative. But it’s also a fair question given how frequently one sees comments, tweets, etc. from Braves fans that — perhaps even subconsciously — evince a greater comfort with being in the burbs than the city.
My personal view: the move is primarily about money and goodies given out by Cobb County on which the Braves would be silly to pass up. But there is definitely a sense out there that a lot of Braves fans will be happy to avoid what they perceive to be the ghetto on their way to see a ballgame.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)