Nov 21, 2013, 11:02 AM EST
People have been talking around this since the announcement of the Braves move to Cobb County last week, but today Neil deMause of Field of Schemes asks the question directly: are the Braves leaving Atlanta because their primarily white fans hate going to the predominantly black and, allegedly, crime-infested neighborhood in which Turner Field sits?
It’s the sort of thing no one would ever cop to. And the sort of thing where merely asking the question is likely to be looked at as needlessly provocative. But it’s also a fair question given how frequently one sees comments, tweets, etc. from Braves fans that — perhaps even subconsciously — evince a greater comfort with being in the burbs than the city.
My personal view: the move is primarily about money and goodies given out by Cobb County on which the Braves would be silly to pass up. But there is definitely a sense out there that a lot of Braves fans will be happy to avoid what they perceive to be the ghetto on their way to see a ballgame.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 8
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 25
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)