HBT Extra: Who won the Kinsler-Fielder trade?

Nov 21, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT

I’ll take “false constructs for $100, Alex!” The answer? Both teams win. Just on different timelines.

1. tcb2nyc - Nov 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM

As a Rangers fan I love this deal. I certainly see how it makes sense for both teams, but just looking at it from a Rangers perspective, its beneficial. Kinsler is so frustrating. He makes awesome plays in the field, and then he lets routine grounders go right between his legs. He’s averaged 17 errors per 162 games in the field for the last 3 years. His 18 last year was one off of the league lead. He’s also a 5-11, 190lb second baseman who only wants to hit home runs. His swing looks awesome when he parks a ball 10 rows deep in left. But he’ll also pop one up to shallow left at least once a game swinging for the fences. He only pulls the ball. I think I read where he had 3 hits to right field all last year, and those were all sliced balls that fell in. He’s a dead pull hitter. Finally … the pick-offs. I promise you, Detroit, you will never see a player get picked off more than Ian Kinsler. I don’t know where to find those stats, but this guy gets picked off more than anyone I’ve ever seen. He’s overly agressive on the basepaths. 15 steals and 11 caught steeling last year. He’ll wow you when he scores from first on a deep single, and then he will make you pull your hair out when he gets caught flat footed and picked off third.

I understand the Tigers fans were elated to get rid of the Fielder contract. You should be. But as a Rangers fan, I’m just as elated to get rid of Kinsler. He’s maddening. Glad the Rangers are smarter than I am, because I would have given the Tigers $30M to make this deal.

At the end of the day, hope it works out for both teams.

2. ewampus - Nov 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM

The Padres won hands down.

3. NYTolstoy - Nov 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

agreed Padres won.

4. proudlycanadian - Nov 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Cano lost a potential landing place. Strike Detroit off his list.

5. mottershead1972 - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM