Ike Davis doesn’t want to be traded

Nov 21, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT

Ike Davis, Marvin Hudson AP

Mets first baseman Ike Davis heard plenty of boos at Citi Field amid his struggles this past season, but he told Anthony DiComo of MLB.com earlier this week that he hopes to get a chance to return in 2014.

“I just want a chance to play,” Davis said earlier this week in a telephone interview. “Honestly, I’ve loved my time with the Mets. I’m still a Met right now and I don’t want to get traded. But that part of the game is not up to us. You want to stay, but you don’t have any say in it.”

The Mets are known to be listening to offers for both Davis and Lucas Duda and may ultimately let the market decide who they trade. While Davis struggled miserably this past season and even found himself demoted to Triple-A Las Vegas for a stretch, he’s just one season removed from hitting 32 home runs. That could give him more appeal than Duda as a change of scenery candidate, which means there’s a pretty good chance that he has played his final game as a member of the Mets.

CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported last week that the Astros, Orioles, Rays, Brewers, and Rockies have all checked in on Davis. The 26-year-old made $3.125 million this past season and is arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter.

1. jimeejohnson - Nov 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM

He found out that Queens it the new Manhattan as far as ethnic food is concerned.

• jimeejohnson - Nov 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM

“is the new Manhattan…”

2. kappy32 - Nov 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I’d much rather see Duda traded over Davis, but it appears the return will be greater for Davis than for Duda. I honestly believe that at some point in the next year or two, Davis is going to put it all together & be an annual 35 HR, 100 RBI, .275 hitter who plays Gold Glove caliber first base. However, the Mets can’t afford to wait around & have him go through another Mendoza-Line season with 15 HR. the fans in NY will tear him apart on Opening Day if he does anything short of a multi extra-base-hit game. Evinced by his struggles in the field, Davis doesn’t have the fortitude to play in NY & compartmentalize his struggles. However, Duda isn’t much of an improvement as an alternative. Duda is far inferior in the field & Duda hasn’t shown an ability to provide the power numbers the Mets believe he is capable of. I am a diehard Mets fan & Duda is by far my least favorite player ever on this team. I am convinced that Duda has some compromising photos of Alderson and/or Terry Collins because there is no rational explanation as to why he is a starter on this team. Duda was handed starting jobs two years in a row, with no internal pressure to be replaced, & failed to do anything but to play so bad that he was demoted by August both seasons. He doesn’t deserve to be the Opening Day First Baseman, not at all. I hear a lot about a “platoon” with him & Lutz, but please tell me the last time a team has won anything with a platoon at an important power producing position like First Base. If I had my way I would see Duda gone, Davis given one more chance, but the Mets need serious power upgrades in the OF & Davis’ value in a trade is far more than Duda’s.

• fanofevilempire - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:57 AM

you can say that again

3. kappy32 - Nov 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM

• fanofevilempire - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:58 AM

you didn’t have to say again you know.

4. gettingpwned - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:28 AM

They’re both awful. No RBI’s, no avg & on base % on either.

• fanofevilempire - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:59 AM

getting pounded?

5. Old Gator - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Sorry, Ike.

They’re coming to take you away, ha ha
    They’re coming to take you away, ho ho, hee hee, ha ha….

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3302)