Nov 21, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
Mets first baseman Ike Davis heard plenty of boos at Citi Field amid his struggles this past season, but he told Anthony DiComo of MLB.com earlier this week that he hopes to get a chance to return in 2014.
“I just want a chance to play,” Davis said earlier this week in a telephone interview. “Honestly, I’ve loved my time with the Mets. I’m still a Met right now and I don’t want to get traded. But that part of the game is not up to us. You want to stay, but you don’t have any say in it.”
The Mets are known to be listening to offers for both Davis and Lucas Duda and may ultimately let the market decide who they trade. While Davis struggled miserably this past season and even found himself demoted to Triple-A Las Vegas for a stretch, he’s just one season removed from hitting 32 home runs. That could give him more appeal than Duda as a change of scenery candidate, which means there’s a pretty good chance that he has played his final game as a member of the Mets.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported last week that the Astros, Orioles, Rays, Brewers, and Rockies have all checked in on Davis. The 26-year-old made $3.125 million this past season and is arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)