Nov 21, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
Mets first baseman Ike Davis heard plenty of boos at Citi Field amid his struggles this past season, but he told Anthony DiComo of MLB.com earlier this week that he hopes to get a chance to return in 2014.
“I just want a chance to play,” Davis said earlier this week in a telephone interview. “Honestly, I’ve loved my time with the Mets. I’m still a Met right now and I don’t want to get traded. But that part of the game is not up to us. You want to stay, but you don’t have any say in it.”
The Mets are known to be listening to offers for both Davis and Lucas Duda and may ultimately let the market decide who they trade. While Davis struggled miserably this past season and even found himself demoted to Triple-A Las Vegas for a stretch, he’s just one season removed from hitting 32 home runs. That could give him more appeal than Duda as a change of scenery candidate, which means there’s a pretty good chance that he has played his final game as a member of the Mets.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported last week that the Astros, Orioles, Rays, Brewers, and Rockies have all checked in on Davis. The 26-year-old made $3.125 million this past season and is arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)