Nov 21, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
Mets first baseman Ike Davis heard plenty of boos at Citi Field amid his struggles this past season, but he told Anthony DiComo of MLB.com earlier this week that he hopes to get a chance to return in 2014.
“I just want a chance to play,” Davis said earlier this week in a telephone interview. “Honestly, I’ve loved my time with the Mets. I’m still a Met right now and I don’t want to get traded. But that part of the game is not up to us. You want to stay, but you don’t have any say in it.”
The Mets are known to be listening to offers for both Davis and Lucas Duda and may ultimately let the market decide who they trade. While Davis struggled miserably this past season and even found himself demoted to Triple-A Las Vegas for a stretch, he’s just one season removed from hitting 32 home runs. That could give him more appeal than Duda as a change of scenery candidate, which means there’s a pretty good chance that he has played his final game as a member of the Mets.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported last week that the Astros, Orioles, Rays, Brewers, and Rockies have all checked in on Davis. The 26-year-old made $3.125 million this past season and is arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter.
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 25
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (185)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)