Nov 21, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
Mets first baseman Ike Davis heard plenty of boos at Citi Field amid his struggles this past season, but he told Anthony DiComo of MLB.com earlier this week that he hopes to get a chance to return in 2014.
“I just want a chance to play,” Davis said earlier this week in a telephone interview. “Honestly, I’ve loved my time with the Mets. I’m still a Met right now and I don’t want to get traded. But that part of the game is not up to us. You want to stay, but you don’t have any say in it.”
The Mets are known to be listening to offers for both Davis and Lucas Duda and may ultimately let the market decide who they trade. While Davis struggled miserably this past season and even found himself demoted to Triple-A Las Vegas for a stretch, he’s just one season removed from hitting 32 home runs. That could give him more appeal than Duda as a change of scenery candidate, which means there’s a pretty good chance that he has played his final game as a member of the Mets.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported last week that the Astros, Orioles, Rays, Brewers, and Rockies have all checked in on Davis. The 26-year-old made $3.125 million this past season and is arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter.
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 0
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 29
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 20
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)