Nov 21, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Mariners catcher/designated hitter Jesus Montero has been playing winter ball in Venezuela, but he’s been sidelined for more than a week after getting into a minor car accident that left him with lacerated knuckles.
Mariners minor league coordinator Chris Gwynn told Greg Johns of MLB.com that Montero is expected to be fine, but his winter league participation is on hold “until he gets the stitches out.”
Johns notes that Montero has been playing mostly first base and designated hitter in Venezuela, which is a sign that his days behind the plate are done following years of defensive struggles. That will put even more pressure on Montero to produce offensively after hitting just .258 with a .699 OPS through 182 career games.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)