Nov 21, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reports that the Pirates recently got in touch with Lance Berkman to express some interest, but his “agent says he’s leaning toward retirement” at age 37.
Texas declined its $12 million option on Berkman for 2014 after he missed half the season with injuries and didn’t hit much, but Pittsburgh may have been looking at him as a stop-gap first baseman.
Berkman can still draw walks and get on base, but he’s played just 105 of a possible 324 games during the past two seasons while posting a mediocre .730 OPS.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (156)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)