Nov 21, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
The Angels failed to retain left-hander Jason Vargas when he jumped at a four-year, $32 million contract from the Royals today, but Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reports that the club continues to pursue free agent reliever Joe Smith as a possible bullpen upgrade.
Smith quietly owns a 2.97 ERA over seven seasons in the majors, the last five as a member of the Indians. This includes a 2.42 ERA over the past three seasons, during which he has made at least 70 appearances in each. The 29-year-old right-hander owns a 57.2 percent ground ball rate for his career. He should do quite well for himself this winter.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)