Nov 21, 2013, 10:25 PM EST
Kottaras was claimed off waivers from the Athletics last winter and played sparingly this past season with Salvador Perez carrying most of the load behind the plate. The 30-year-old appeared in a total 46 games (29 starts) and hit just .180/.349/.370 with five home runs and 12 RBI over 126 plate appearances.
Kottaras has some power and a knack for getting on base, so he could be a useful part-time catcher depending on where he ends up next.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 37
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 83
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)