Nov 21, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
Ervin Santana is almost certain to leave Kansas City as a free agent and the Royals announced that they’ve replaced him in the rotation with Jason Vargas, signing the left-hander to a four-year contract. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says it’s worth $32 million.
Vargas was traded from the Mariners to the Angels for Kendrys Morales last offseason and threw 150 innings with a 4.02 ERA, missing time with a blood clot in his arm pit.
He’s a 30-year-old soft-tosser with a 4.30 career ERA, but Kansas City should be a good home ballpark for masking Vargas’ homer-related issues and before the blood cot he’d thrown 193, 201, and 217 innings the previous three seasons.
Vargas is a decent enough mid-rotation starter, but much like with Jeremy Guthrie last offseason the Royals are making a very long and expensive commitment to a mediocre 30-something starter. The Angels didn’t make Vargas a qualifying offer for fear he’d accept the one-year, $14.1 million deal, so they won’t get any compensation for his departure and he won’t cost the Royals a draft pick.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)