Nov 21, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Seems crazy. Seems like, based on his age and a batting line of .244/.313/.355 last season that Paul Konerko is kaput. But Rick Morrissey argues that, even if Konerko is finished, the Sox should sign him. For old time’s sake:
There is no measure from 2013 that would make you want Konerko on your roster, not at his age (he’ll turn 38 during spring training) and not with the nagging injuries that always seem to be tugging at him. He went .244/.313/.355 last season. The metrics crowd would suggest euthanasia is in order. But Konerko has meant so much to this franchise, and that’s why the Sox are leaving his return up to him … What does Konerko bring to the table? Wrong question. What has he brought to the table? Better.
Morrissey adds that we should take into account the fact that Konerko is a good leader in that he talked to the media every day so his teammates didn’t have to. And that he’s well thought-of in the organization and among his teammates.
All of which is a great argument to make Konerko a coach. Nowhere, however, is there a half-decent argument in there to bring him back as a first baseman.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)