The postseason playoff shares were announced

Nov 21, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT

Man-Handing-out-Money

There used to be a time when postseason money was bigger than most players’ actual salaries. That’s not the case any longer, but the money is still pretty good.

This year the a full postseason share broke down as follows:

• Boston Red Sox: $307,322.68
  • St. Louis Cardinals: $228,300.17
  • Detroit Tigers: $129,278.22
  • Los Angeles Dodgers: $108,037.06
  • Atlanta Braves: $34,012.30
  • Oakland A’s: $37,316.25
  • Pittsburgh Pirates: $35,558.58
  • Tampa Bay Rays: $35,280.10
  • Cincinnati Reds: $15,284.85
  • Cleveland Indians: $15,107.00

Each team can vote how many full shares to allocate. They can also issue partial shares and cash awards. It’s overall pool for player shares comes from 50 percent of the gate receipts from the Wild Card Games, 60 percent of the gate receipts from the first three games of the Division Series; 60 percent of the gate receipts from the first four games of the League Championship Series; and 60 percent of the gate receipts from the first four games of the World Series.

Now gonna go listen to Patti Smith’s “Free Money.”

1. sdelmonte - Nov 21, 2013 at 4:42 PM

The partial shares votes tend to be just a little interesting, since you hear about who left the team that was missed, and who arrived late that wasn’t really part of the team and so on.

• mick2014 - Nov 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Interesting how the Pirates players lost $70,000 by not closing the door on the Cardinals in games 4 or 5. I wonder if Kolten Wong got $228,000. Beltran no doubt got a full share.

2. aphillieated - Nov 21, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Hey! Where’s my share?

• beachnbaseball - Nov 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Sorry. Can’t spare a share.

3. nbjays - Nov 21, 2013 at 5:11 PM

So judging by a full share for the Red Sox, Stephen Drew has the highest cash-per-hit ratio.

4. clydeserra - Nov 21, 2013 at 5:32 PM

So it pays better to be the winning wildcard team than to win the division?

What do division winners get? (apart from the playoff share)

• Anoesis - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:48 PM

It does if you win your division but flame out in the division series. Division winners don’t have to play a wild-card game with the risk of being one-and-done in the playoffs. Barves fan?

• clydeserra - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:41 AM

yes that is the baseball reason to win the division.

What I am wondering is what is the difference financially to a player to wint the division and lose in the first round compared with winning the wild card game and losing in the DS.

It seems like it is setting a perverse incentive to be the 2nd place team. also, the reds and pirates were 2nd and third. they got different amounts to play in the wild card game. Anyone know what the breakdown is?

5. thebadguyswon - Nov 21, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Thank god….I was wonder how these guys were going to pay for Christmas presents. Phew.

6. spudchukar - Nov 21, 2013 at 5:53 PM

If you think this isn’t a meaningful number, just ask Jon Jay, Lance Lynn, Fernando Salas, Daniel Descalso, Matt Carpenter, Tony Cruz, Shane Robinson, Joe Kelly, Shelby Miller, Matt Adams, Pete Kozma, Trevor Rosenthal, Michael Wacha, and Seth Maness, who were all making at or near the minimum. That is almost 1/2 of a year’s pay. A Thanksgiving toast to all!

7. NYTolstoy - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM

wow that is a lot of money they’re getting. It amazes me how much more money these guys get. It’s not even a salary it’s just a bonus check, a here’s an extra million, just insane to make logic of. I know a lot of you guys disagree with me but for someone making 60 a year which took me a good while to move up too, to see guys make an extra million just for making it to the playoffs. Never was a fan of knowing how much more they get in the playoffs. I don’t want to call it sour grapes but its just never been easy to swallow 300 million extra goes to such team for winning the world series, and yes many of you will say the billionaire owners would just keep it and what not. That used to be my defense when I was a teenager but now it doesn’t matter since they all are millionaires who make millions more for showing up. Love the game but you guys have to admit its hard to take for an average Joe.

• Anoesis - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM

It doesn’t bother me any more than it bothers me that a movie star gets $15 or $20 million (or more) for six weeks of “work” pretending to be someone else. It’s the entertainment industry, an animal unto itself.

I don’t live anywhere near a stadium and even when I lived 40 miles from one I didn’t go to games. The best seat in the house is at my house. My contribution to the bottom line of baseball is having to sit through the commercial breaks. Which I rarely do anyway since they aren’t selling anything I want to buy and between innings is perfect for kitchen and bathroom breaks.

it’s the supply and demand of the free market. You don’t have to like it, but it is a major reason this country has the standard of living it does, and you have to take the good with the good (or bad in your viewpoint).

• bpearse230 - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I’m not sure where you’re getting $300 million from. They’re getting $300K per share. The average MLB salary is $3 million. So the bonus for being part of the best performing team is 10%. That’s hardly outrageous compared to performance based bonuses in corporate America. You also have to realize that the majority of these players only stay in the majors for 4 or 5 years. After that, their earning power evaporates and they have to live the rest of their lives on their past earnings and for the majority, a high school education. They’re also taxed at the highest rate, so they’re really only getting around 50% of that money after union dues, insurance, and taxes. If you were in the top 1% of your profession and only earned $8 million in your career after taxes, I would say you got screwed. And I haven’t even considered inflation. That $8 million is going to look a lot more like $800K in the year 2050 when most of these guys are entering normal retirement age.

8. tc4306 - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Its even more important for the coaches and support staff like trainers and clubhouse guys who truly do not make a lot of cash. For guys like that who get cut in, this will put the “Merry” in “Merry Christmas.”

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2905)