Wanna buy “beard ball trophies” made out of the Red Sox’ beard hair?

Nov 21, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2013-11-21 at 12.54.56 PM

Of course you do!

You’ll recall earlier this month that several members of the Boston Red Sox shaved their beards at the Gillette’s “World Shaving Headquarters.” Well, they saved all of those beautiful scraggly and curly hairs and made stuff out of it. And now you can buy stuff made out of those scraggly and curly beard hairs. If that’s your thing:

After saying goodbye to their beards at Gillette World Shaving Headquarters on Monday, November 4, you may have thought the famed facial hair was gone forever.  Were they washed down the drains of Gillette’s World Shave Headquarters? Flushed into the Atlantic? No. In fact, every strand of the biggest beards of baseball was saved.

The shavings and the actual Gillette Fusion ProGlide razors that were used to shave each champion beard have been assembled as unique pieces of memorabilia in sports history – beard ball trophies – and today, they are up for auction on eBay with 100% of the proceeds going directly to Movember . . .

Interested bidders can place their bids for Victorino’s beard ball trophy here http://tinyurl.com/l8cawvz and Ortiz’s beard ball trophy here http://tinyurl.com/phxe7hk. Bidding on Ortiz’s is up to $177 as I type this. Victorino’s is up to $107.50.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go find assemble my own discarded body hair into some sort of salable good. Or barf. Not sure which.

1. Tim's Neighbor - Nov 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM

2. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 21, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I know people will buy anything, but this is just disgusting.

3. raysfan1 - Nov 21, 2013 at 1:22 PM

For some reason I am immediately reminded of both PT Barnum and HL Mencken.

• historiophiliac - Nov 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Awesome.

• cur68 - Nov 21, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Or Howard Hughes. He aslo preserved his “stuff”.

No matter how you slice it, this here be gross.

4. gloccamorra - Nov 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM

The first thing I thought of was, hey! You can test people for drugs analyzing strands of hair! Plus, you can isolate DNA, and check for diet and possibly medical conditions. Did the players realize what they gave up? Did they realize their lives and bodies are now an open book? Will Craig Calcaterra advise them of the dangers in a future article? Stay tuned.

5. NatsLady - Nov 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I am NOT bidding on your barf. No matter how you package it.

6. indaburg - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I’m a nurse. I’ve seen the most disgusting, vile things without flinching or gagging. THIS makes me nauseous. Thanks for ruining dinner, Craig.

7. sawxalicious - Nov 22, 2013 at 4:02 AM