A Cubs fan is mad at an 11-year-old girl who cheers for the Cubs really loudly

Nov 22, 2013, 10:35 AM EST

cubs logo

This is why some Cubs fans can’t have nice things:

Natalie Adorno, an 11-year-old die-hard Chicago Cubs fan, isn’t afraid to get loud for her favorite team at Wrigley Field.

“I get the crowd going. When everyone is just standing there bored — well, not bored because they’re watching the game, but like not talking or cheering, then I’m there and they scream,” Odorno said.

But the girl’s cheering habits at Wrigley Field have irked another fan, though, and now the team is getting involved.

The Cubs seem to be cool about this, for what it’s worth. Read the story for the ins-and-outs of the dispute. Which began when another Cubs fan sought out the cheering girl on Twitter to say that he didn’t appreciate her cheering and exuberance.

I can theoretically understand a person being annoyed at some point — everyone has a different tolerance for noise — but a person’s lack of patience for that kind of cheering is way more their problem than this girl’s. And in any event, I can’t actually see seeking out the 11 year-old girl and saying something.

Don’t like crowd enthusiasm? Don’t go to a sporting event.

1. chill1184 - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Why the hell would you pick a fight with a little kid? People are assholes

• jerze2387 - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Similar thing happened to e rouhly the same age at a cubs game.

I was a big Griffey fan, and when he got traded to the Reds, his 1st game in chicago i wore my Griffey jersey, i was about 11 or 12, and drunk ignorant fans tried starting a fight outside with me as me and my dad walked to the car.

Ever since then, now that im grown, i make it a point to wear sox stuff in wrigleyville. I wish one of em would try that stuff now. a LOT of thes cubs “fans’ are drunken douchebags.

• stevequinn - Nov 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Cubs fan. That’s all ya need to know :-)

2. aphillieated - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM

smh

3. El Bravo - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM

“Don’t like crowd enthusiasm? Don’t go to a sporting event.”

But this was not a sporting event, it was a Cubs game.

• kevinbnyc - Nov 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Maybe it wasn’t the cheering, but the undeserved enthusiasm for the Cubs.

• drone501 - Nov 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM

lol very good.

4. jlinatl - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Just a matter of time before his name becomes public and it will probably make for a lousy weekend.

• hockeyflow33 - Nov 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Every internet policeman will make sure to publish all his personal information and won’t stop until he’s fired from his job for bullying.

• hittfamily - Nov 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I think “Anonymous” is a bunch of mom’s basement dwelling flipping losers, but every once in a while I have to tip my hat to them. When they attack the Westboro Baptist Church’s site, and expose internet bullies, I’m glad they are around. This dickhead likely just put himself on their list.

5. stoutfiles - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I can see the guy’s point, if you sat behind a kid who was screaming the entire game it would get annoying, and obviously you can’t say anything about it because it’s a kid. I’m all for cheering loudly at certain parts of the game, but her game plan as I read it is to cheer as loud as possible anytime people are being quiet.

That said, she has season tickets so she’s always going to sit in the same spot. If you don’t want to hear the yelling, go sit somewhere else. She’s a kid so you have to let it go.

• randomjoeblow - Nov 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM

No you don’t.

• hittfamily - Nov 22, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I hate when some asshole has a cowbell next to me at a Rays game. I couldn’t imagine sitting next to someone ringing one 81 days a year. I feel for the guy, but approach the parents, not the kid.

6. MyTeamsAllStink - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM

at least SOMEONE is cheering for the Cubs.

7. fanofevilempire - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM

The only thing that can be done is close down Wrigley Field and open a storage rental unit for the community to store seasonal items not in use.

8. longbino - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Why does an 11 year old even have a twitter account ? Just great that adults can “look her up” on twitter

9. eshine76 - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM

This fan had all season to deal with the issue, but instead decided to go after her on Twitter following the season. That fan could have talked to the ushers if she was obstructing the view, the ticket office to see if there was a possibility to move seats, or even have a friendly chat with her dad to have her dial it back a bit. Those would be civil ideas, but I guess confronting a child on Twitter is better.

• yahmule - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM

You strike me as an enemy of modernity, sir.

• randomjoeblow - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Total garbage. Sounds like none of them actually care to do anything..

10. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM

His name is Bartman.

11. tfbuckfutter - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

An 11 year old girl, from Chicago, who likes to scream when no one else is, and thinks it’s cute and everyone enjoys it?

Sure. Nothing remotely annoying in that equation.

• historiophiliac - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I’m sure her parents are nothing but encouraging to their sweet darling.

12. racksie - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I once explained to a group of about 5 17 year olds that I had no interest in having them do the wave, and stand up in front of me for no good reason. Their defense? Hey, the game gets boring. We need something to do. Sure enough, they are watching the wave, sure to stand up when they are supposed to, and when they sit down, there is a guy rounding the bases. I asked them if they knew why they guy was jogging around the bases? Huh? Yeah, he just hit a home run. You didn’t see it? Oh that’s right, you weren’t watching the game, you were watching the wave. I hate the wave. If the game is too boring, don’t go to sporting events.

• Panda Claus - Nov 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM

The wave is my version of “get off my lawn”. I hate it for all the reasons you mentioned.

13. misterj167 - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I remember several years back I attended an Atlanta Hawks game with a friend with two tickets I won from the local sports radio station. They were pretty good seats actually. And while neither of us were huge Hawks fans we did our best to cheer the team on, though I admit we did some goofy stuff like yell “PULL THE STRING!” when one of the Pacers (who the Hawks were playing) shot free throws.

We were told to be quiet by a couple of old white guys a few seats in front of us. Not just at the free throw stuff, just to be quiet, period. And sadly the only reason we might have considered to be annoying is that otherwise the place was pretty damn quiet for a pro basketball game. Atlanta really is much more a college sports town than a pro sports town.

In my best Brooklyn voice, I said “What is this, a LIBRARY?” It got a few laughs.

Oh I went to a Cubs game this year when they were playing the Braves and our seats were on the aisle (facing the game) and I missed half the damn game, including a homer by Andrelton Simmons, because PEOPLE WOULD NOT SIT THE HELL DOWN. We moved across the aisle eventually as people left…

• Uncle Charlie - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM

News flash…don’t get aisle seats at sporting events .

• misterj167 - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Yeah lesson learned for next time…

14. yahmule - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM

If you sit in front of me at a Broncos game, you can expect to leave the stadium with ears like Pete Townshend. Every time the opposing offense has the football, I make more noise than a howler monkey humping a jackhammer. My demeanor at baseball games is more genteel.

15. natstowngreg - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Fans being enthusiastic on their own, and rooting for their team, isn’t the annoying thing. The annoying thing is the team using the PA system and scoreboard to try to generate fake enthusiasm.

• randomjoeblow - Nov 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Dumb teenage girl standing up in front of you creating chants and having the rest of her section do the same wouldn’t bother you at all?

16. hammerhead5573 - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Seriously, I am a cub fan my entire life and the cubs are the laughing stock of baseball. And the light at the end of the tunnel is nowhere to be seen.That said, didn’t baseball end several weeks ago. Why is this just now a story?

17. Walk - Nov 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I smiled a bit when i read this story. I was watching a braves game either two or three seasons ago and i can remember hearing a fan, which sounded like it had to be her cheering loudly. She seemed to be the only cubs fan cheering and near as i can figure she was in an outfield seat. The home plate mic picked her up. Not only did it pick her voice up, i was watching on tv. That is a dedicated fan.

18. JP - Nov 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Score one for the curmudgeons!

19. thomasgarvey - Nov 22, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Oh, come on. How does an 11 year old girl annoy this guy?
    Does no one remember Ronny Woo-Woo at Cubs games? THAT guy was annoying. Didn’t matter where you sat, you could hear his “Cubs! Woo!”. He did it inside and outside the park and always wore his Cubs jersey. I think there was a time a while back when he tried to get the Cubs to hire him as a mascot or something. Maybe they paid him to go away because I haven’t seen (or heard) him in a while.

20. joewilliesshnoz - Nov 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

The kid’s lucky she doesn’t live in Philadelphia. She’d never make it out alive.

• deepstblu - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Naah, the “EVERYBODY HITS! HOO-HOOOOOO!” guy survived for years.

21. hockeyflow33 - Nov 22, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Clearly the guy is a db for attacking a kid on twitter but can when is enough, enough with people having to make the game about them? No one goes to watch some fat slob with his face painted, wearing a jersey with the name of a kid 20 years younger than him.
    Maybe I’m in the minority but when I go to a game it’s to watch what’s taking place on the field.

22. peterjohnjoseph - Nov 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I just want to know what work goes into finding an 11 year old on Twitter. If I pass a screaming 11 year old in the street today, I think I have better chances of winning the lottery than finding her on Twitter.

I’m assuming this guy has done this before… Find young girls on Twitter that is.

23. sportsfan69 - Nov 22, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Arnold mediates the matter with the Adult Cubs fan and the little girl.

24. mrfanman - Nov 23, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Remember when kids were supposed to be seen and not heard? Her parents should be educated that the world isn’t all about their kid. There are limits.

25. mrfanman - Nov 23, 2013 at 1:33 AM

The real headline to this story:
    Found! Wrigley Field Fan Found Actually Watching Game!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester