Nov 22, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
New Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon will have to fill a few more vacant coaching staff positions as he readies himself for the 2014 season in Seattle. Via Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, the team fired pitching coach Carl Willis, demoted bullpen coach Jamie Navarro to the team’s Minor League system, and first base coach Mike Brumley left to join the Cubs as their assistant hitting coach.
The Mariners fired bench coach Robby Thompson before bringing McClendon on board. They also reassigned third base coach Jeff Datz to a scouting position. As a result, McClendon will get to almost entirely repopulate the coaching staff with his own selections. As Baker notes, only Daren Brown (who took over for Datz as third base coach), hitting coach Dave Hansen, and bullpen catcher Jason Phillips remain.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)