Nov 22, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Free agent shortstop Jhonny Peralta is seeking $56-75 million on a four- or five-year deal, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post. The former Tiger has drawn interest from a handful of teams, including the Mets and Yankees, but he might have to settle for less to sign a deal.
Earlier, Jon Morosi of FOX Sports tweeted that the Orioles have some interest in Peralta as a left fielder. The Orioles could also trade shortstop J.J. Hardy to open up a spot for Peralta at his natural position.
Peralta just wrapped up a two-year, $11.25 million contract with the Tigers, so the average annual value jump from $5.6 million to $14-15 million is quite severe. Nevertheless, we have already seen some free agents get bigger contracts than expected — the Phillies gave 36-year-old outfielder Marlon Byrd a two-year, $16 million contract, and soon-to-be 35-year-old catcher Carlos Ruiz a three-year, $26 million deal. The Royals gave below-average starter Jason Vargas a four-year, $32 million deal. The Giants gave 36-year-old reliever Javier Lopez a three-year, $13 million deal. Given that, it’s difficult to view Peralta’s desired contract as outlandish.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)