Nov 22, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Free agent shortstop Jhonny Peralta is seeking $56-75 million on a four- or five-year deal, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post. The former Tiger has drawn interest from a handful of teams, including the Mets and Yankees, but he might have to settle for less to sign a deal.
Earlier, Jon Morosi of FOX Sports tweeted that the Orioles have some interest in Peralta as a left fielder. The Orioles could also trade shortstop J.J. Hardy to open up a spot for Peralta at his natural position.
Peralta just wrapped up a two-year, $11.25 million contract with the Tigers, so the average annual value jump from $5.6 million to $14-15 million is quite severe. Nevertheless, we have already seen some free agents get bigger contracts than expected — the Phillies gave 36-year-old outfielder Marlon Byrd a two-year, $16 million contract, and soon-to-be 35-year-old catcher Carlos Ruiz a three-year, $26 million deal. The Royals gave below-average starter Jason Vargas a four-year, $32 million deal. The Giants gave 36-year-old reliever Javier Lopez a three-year, $13 million deal. Given that, it’s difficult to view Peralta’s desired contract as outlandish.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 60
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)