Nov 22, 2013, 6:47 AM EDT
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson is not going to allow his team’s increasingly pitched rivalry with the Dodgers rest in the offseason. And he’s not going to limit it to baseball games either.
In this wide-ranging interview at AZ Central.com, Gibby talks about the great culture and character of the Dbacks, as evidenced by some of his players recently taking a goodwill tour of Australia in the runup to next springs’ Dbacks-Dodgers series down there. But he notes that the Dodgers weren’t there:
“I’ll give you an example,” Gibson said. “Look at the guys who went down (on a goodwill tour of) Australia for us. Why did they do it? It’s who we are. It’s who the Diamondbacks are. We’re committed to the game of baseball. We’re committed to the community. I’ll put our organization up against anybody’s in terms of doing the right thing.
“We had Goldy go down there, along with Patrick Corbin and Derrick Hall, our president and CEO. Who’s the other team got down there? Are they too (expletive) good? Honestly?”
This is increasingly reminding me of some sitcom rivalry in which only the underdog is aware of and cares about a rivalry. And that the rivalry is about 85% made-up in the underdog’s mind.
But good for the Dbacks being better at “doing the right thing” than everyone else.
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 22
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (103)