Nov 22, 2013, 6:47 AM EDT
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson is not going to allow his team’s increasingly pitched rivalry with the Dodgers rest in the offseason. And he’s not going to limit it to baseball games either.
In this wide-ranging interview at AZ Central.com, Gibby talks about the great culture and character of the Dbacks, as evidenced by some of his players recently taking a goodwill tour of Australia in the runup to next springs’ Dbacks-Dodgers series down there. But he notes that the Dodgers weren’t there:
“I’ll give you an example,” Gibson said. “Look at the guys who went down (on a goodwill tour of) Australia for us. Why did they do it? It’s who we are. It’s who the Diamondbacks are. We’re committed to the game of baseball. We’re committed to the community. I’ll put our organization up against anybody’s in terms of doing the right thing.
“We had Goldy go down there, along with Patrick Corbin and Derrick Hall, our president and CEO. Who’s the other team got down there? Are they too (expletive) good? Honestly?”
This is increasingly reminding me of some sitcom rivalry in which only the underdog is aware of and cares about a rivalry. And that the rivalry is about 85% made-up in the underdog’s mind.
But good for the Dbacks being better at “doing the right thing” than everyone else.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 3
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 23
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 6
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (168)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)