Nov 22, 2013, 6:47 AM EDT
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson is not going to allow his team’s increasingly pitched rivalry with the Dodgers rest in the offseason. And he’s not going to limit it to baseball games either.
In this wide-ranging interview at AZ Central.com, Gibby talks about the great culture and character of the Dbacks, as evidenced by some of his players recently taking a goodwill tour of Australia in the runup to next springs’ Dbacks-Dodgers series down there. But he notes that the Dodgers weren’t there:
“I’ll give you an example,” Gibson said. “Look at the guys who went down (on a goodwill tour of) Australia for us. Why did they do it? It’s who we are. It’s who the Diamondbacks are. We’re committed to the game of baseball. We’re committed to the community. I’ll put our organization up against anybody’s in terms of doing the right thing.
“We had Goldy go down there, along with Patrick Corbin and Derrick Hall, our president and CEO. Who’s the other team got down there? Are they too (expletive) good? Honestly?”
This is increasingly reminding me of some sitcom rivalry in which only the underdog is aware of and cares about a rivalry. And that the rivalry is about 85% made-up in the underdog’s mind.
But good for the Dbacks being better at “doing the right thing” than everyone else.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)