Nov 22, 2013, 6:47 AM EDT
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson is not going to allow his team’s increasingly pitched rivalry with the Dodgers rest in the offseason. And he’s not going to limit it to baseball games either.
In this wide-ranging interview at AZ Central.com, Gibby talks about the great culture and character of the Dbacks, as evidenced by some of his players recently taking a goodwill tour of Australia in the runup to next springs’ Dbacks-Dodgers series down there. But he notes that the Dodgers weren’t there:
“I’ll give you an example,” Gibson said. “Look at the guys who went down (on a goodwill tour of) Australia for us. Why did they do it? It’s who we are. It’s who the Diamondbacks are. We’re committed to the game of baseball. We’re committed to the community. I’ll put our organization up against anybody’s in terms of doing the right thing.
“We had Goldy go down there, along with Patrick Corbin and Derrick Hall, our president and CEO. Who’s the other team got down there? Are they too (expletive) good? Honestly?”
This is increasingly reminding me of some sitcom rivalry in which only the underdog is aware of and cares about a rivalry. And that the rivalry is about 85% made-up in the underdog’s mind.
But good for the Dbacks being better at “doing the right thing” than everyone else.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)