Nov 22, 2013, 6:47 AM EDT
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson is not going to allow his team’s increasingly pitched rivalry with the Dodgers rest in the offseason. And he’s not going to limit it to baseball games either.
In this wide-ranging interview at AZ Central.com, Gibby talks about the great culture and character of the Dbacks, as evidenced by some of his players recently taking a goodwill tour of Australia in the runup to next springs’ Dbacks-Dodgers series down there. But he notes that the Dodgers weren’t there:
“I’ll give you an example,” Gibson said. “Look at the guys who went down (on a goodwill tour of) Australia for us. Why did they do it? It’s who we are. It’s who the Diamondbacks are. We’re committed to the game of baseball. We’re committed to the community. I’ll put our organization up against anybody’s in terms of doing the right thing.
“We had Goldy go down there, along with Patrick Corbin and Derrick Hall, our president and CEO. Who’s the other team got down there? Are they too (expletive) good? Honestly?”
This is increasingly reminding me of some sitcom rivalry in which only the underdog is aware of and cares about a rivalry. And that the rivalry is about 85% made-up in the underdog’s mind.
But good for the Dbacks being better at “doing the right thing” than everyone else.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)