MLB stadiums will bulk up security measures in 2014

Nov 22, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT

World Series Cardinals Red Sox Baseball AP

The Associated Press is reporting that fans should expect to pass through a metal detector to gain entry into any Major League stadium in 2014. John Skinner, security director for Major League Baseball, said that some aspects of the screening process will be left up to the teams, but metal detectors are likely to be uniformly required.

The ramped-up security is, in part, a response to the Boston Marathon bombing in April which killed three and wounded 260 people.

Major League Baseball will present new security requirements and suggestions at the December winter meetings in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said in an email:

“We have been reviewing our security procedures for many months and we will issue a security bulletin in 2014 that will include practices and procedures that are responsive to the new security environment. Fan screening will be one of the subjects addressed. We are continuing to consult with our clubs, our experts and the Department of Homeland Security, and we expect to announce specific changes after some further off-season meetings.”

1. Patrick R. - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:05 PM

What a great way to get people to come out to the ballpark!

• sportsfan18 - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Baseball needs a new Kissing Morgana! That’ll get more guys to go to the parks.

I mean some cheerleaders would help too. I mean pro football and basketball have them.

• alaninthecastro - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Thank goodness MLB has finally cracked down on the wave of in-stadium bombings and shootings, which in recent years has increased from none ever to an alarming zero in the 2013 season. I look forward to 50,000 people emptying their pockets and re-stocking them at the gates, or stepping through a second or third time for that forgotten penny or house key. This will be much more fun than watching baseball games.

2. 4d3fect - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Leave your hammers at the box, come inside, come inside!

3. sawxalicious - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:52 PM

This will give a false sense of security. It would be much more likely that a terrorist would bring a non-metallic bomb inside.

4. rbj1 - Nov 22, 2013 at 8:02 PM

So I can’t carry my Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman tool? What about big metal belt buckles favored in Texas?

5. mgv38 - Nov 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM

You mean “stadia.” “Stadiums”? Not a word. Really– If you can’t learn the language, move back to . . .. wherever.

• gloccamorra - Nov 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Plural of stadium in Latin: stadia.
      Plural of Stadium in English: stadiums.

Plural of Prius in Latin: Prii.
      Plural of Prius in English: Priuses.

Enough with the Latin corrections! Talk American.

6. klingonj - Nov 22, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Maybe they can make the fan experience as freindly as the NFL (sarcasm key off). The NFL now makes woman leave thir pocketbooks in the car and use a plastic bag instead. sheer genius to make it painful

7. mrluke100 - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Really? Am I going to have to remove my shoes to? Sorry if someone wants to do harm they will do so outside the stadium where there is a long line waiting to get in.

8. maximusprime107 - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:32 PM

You won’t have take off your shoes, NBA arenas have started doing this (at least the Pepsi Center in Denver) and it’s pretty easy to get through

9. cohnjusack - Nov 22, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Yah! America’s increased security paranoia goes another unreasonable step further! Despite the fact that:
    A). I can’t recall any incidents at ball parks that a metal detector would have prevented
    B). Terrorism is exceedingly rare
    C). Terrorists can go anywhere to do an attack. People gather in lots of places and there is nothing you can do about it.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to the 9/11 memorial. You know, that wonderful park built to mourn those who died on 9/11 and celebrate America’s perseverance and unwillingness to cave into fear or terrorism. Essentially, it’s a park…that involves going through a metal detector.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Nov 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Cohn, B & C I agree. A, to state the obvious, on Sept. 10, 2001, how many cases had we heard of of teams of hijackers plowing big airplanes into huge buildings? And then we did. This new measure might prove of little value, unless it catches some sicko bent on mayhem.

• alaninthecastro - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Why stop there? Strip search everyone before they’re allowed to leave their house.

10. brimab - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I guess I won’t be attending any more games then. The last game I went to was a horrible experience thanks to the ushers anyway. I’ll just watch extra innings at home on my HD widescreen. Then I can watch good teams and afford the food.

11. beefytrout - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I get wanded just about every time I go to the Ballpark in Arlington. Metal detectors are no big deal. Small metaphorical price to pay for the large actual price I have to pay to see a live baseball game. I love baseball to my core, this will not impede that.

12. chill1184 - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I get padded down via the metal wand so really its no big deal to me, I choose to go to the ballpark.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Nov 23, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Enjoy the games chill, but, um, it’s patted. FFR.

13. Chipmaker - Nov 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM

So is this MLB’s backhanded way of saying it will NEVER change to aluminum bats?

14. bigtrav425 - Nov 23, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Ugh…isn’t there already enough of this?!?!?!…Don’t become the NFL and start to scare ppl away f rom games!

15. gloccamorra - Nov 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I just added major league baseball to the other pro sports, commercial air travel, and jury duty, that require excessive security measures for my attendance, which will not be forthcoming.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3677)