Nov 22, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
The Royals are a “serious threat” to sign free agent outfielder Carlos Beltran, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The 36-year-old has proven himself as a reliable player over the last three seasons, playing in at least 142 games each season while compiling an .860 OPS. He helped his value with a strong post-season performance as well, posting an .852 OPS in 68 trips to the plate in the NLDS against the Pirates, in the NLCS against the Dodgers, and in the World Series against the Red Sox.
Heyman notes that the Rangers and Mariners are in the mix for Beltran’s services, as are the Yankees and Red Sox. Also of note is that if Beltran were to sign a multi-year deal and play well throughout the duration, he could solidify his Hall of Fame case, which would benefit the Royals. He played seven seasons each with the Royals and the Mets, but logged slightly more playing time with the Mets. Going back to Kansas City would make it likely that Beltran would be enshrined wearing a Royals cap.
As for Beltran’s contract, Heyman’s source says that the outfielder has requested a four-year deal, but would likely settle for a three-year deal with the right conditions. Beltran will turn 37 years old on April 24, so a three-year deal would end just before he reaches 40.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 40
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 21
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)