Nov 22, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
The Royals are a “serious threat” to sign free agent outfielder Carlos Beltran, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The 36-year-old has proven himself as a reliable player over the last three seasons, playing in at least 142 games each season while compiling an .860 OPS. He helped his value with a strong post-season performance as well, posting an .852 OPS in 68 trips to the plate in the NLDS against the Pirates, in the NLCS against the Dodgers, and in the World Series against the Red Sox.
Heyman notes that the Rangers and Mariners are in the mix for Beltran’s services, as are the Yankees and Red Sox. Also of note is that if Beltran were to sign a multi-year deal and play well throughout the duration, he could solidify his Hall of Fame case, which would benefit the Royals. He played seven seasons each with the Royals and the Mets, but logged slightly more playing time with the Mets. Going back to Kansas City would make it likely that Beltran would be enshrined wearing a Royals cap.
As for Beltran’s contract, Heyman’s source says that the outfielder has requested a four-year deal, but would likely settle for a three-year deal with the right conditions. Beltran will turn 37 years old on April 24, so a three-year deal would end just before he reaches 40.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)