Nov 22, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
The Royals are a “serious threat” to sign free agent outfielder Carlos Beltran, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The 36-year-old has proven himself as a reliable player over the last three seasons, playing in at least 142 games each season while compiling an .860 OPS. He helped his value with a strong post-season performance as well, posting an .852 OPS in 68 trips to the plate in the NLDS against the Pirates, in the NLCS against the Dodgers, and in the World Series against the Red Sox.
Heyman notes that the Rangers and Mariners are in the mix for Beltran’s services, as are the Yankees and Red Sox. Also of note is that if Beltran were to sign a multi-year deal and play well throughout the duration, he could solidify his Hall of Fame case, which would benefit the Royals. He played seven seasons each with the Royals and the Mets, but logged slightly more playing time with the Mets. Going back to Kansas City would make it likely that Beltran would be enshrined wearing a Royals cap.
As for Beltran’s contract, Heyman’s source says that the outfielder has requested a four-year deal, but would likely settle for a three-year deal with the right conditions. Beltran will turn 37 years old on April 24, so a three-year deal would end just before he reaches 40.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 21
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)