Nov 22, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
The Royals are a “serious threat” to sign free agent outfielder Carlos Beltran, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The 36-year-old has proven himself as a reliable player over the last three seasons, playing in at least 142 games each season while compiling an .860 OPS. He helped his value with a strong post-season performance as well, posting an .852 OPS in 68 trips to the plate in the NLDS against the Pirates, in the NLCS against the Dodgers, and in the World Series against the Red Sox.
Heyman notes that the Rangers and Mariners are in the mix for Beltran’s services, as are the Yankees and Red Sox. Also of note is that if Beltran were to sign a multi-year deal and play well throughout the duration, he could solidify his Hall of Fame case, which would benefit the Royals. He played seven seasons each with the Royals and the Mets, but logged slightly more playing time with the Mets. Going back to Kansas City would make it likely that Beltran would be enshrined wearing a Royals cap.
As for Beltran’s contract, Heyman’s source says that the outfielder has requested a four-year deal, but would likely settle for a three-year deal with the right conditions. Beltran will turn 37 years old on April 24, so a three-year deal would end just before he reaches 40.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)