Nov 22, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Well, that progressed from rumor to trade in a hurry. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Angels have traded center fielder Peter Bourjos and outfield prospect Randal Grichuk to the Cardinals for third baseman David Freese and reliever Fernando Salas.
Obviously the Angels are betting that Freese will bounce back following a down 2013 and the Cardinals were willing to let him go because they have prospect Kolten Wong ready to take over at second base with Matt Carpenter shifting to third base. Meanwhile, the arrival of Bourjos presumably means Jon Jay will be on the way out of St. Louis at some point.
Freese hit .262 with nine homers and a .721 OPS in 138 games this year, which is 60 points of OPS below his career mark. Salas will likely slide into a middle relief role for the Angels after posting a 3.42 ERA and 186/69 K/BB ratio in 192 innings for the Cardinals.
Bourjos is a career .251 hitter with a .704 OPS, which is about 50 points below Jay’s lifetime mark, but the gap between them defensively is huge. Grichuk was the Angels’ first-round pick in 2009 and has shown good power with questionable strike-zone judgment while advancing to Double-A.
Following yesterday’s report that the Angels are talking to the Cardinals about third baseman David Freese, now Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register reports that the other side of the deal may involve center fielder Peter Bourjos.
St. Louis is looking to replace Jon Jay, who’s getting expensive and coming off a brutal postseason performance defensively, and Bourjos is one of the truly elite defensive center fielders in baseball. Of course, on the Angels he could be replaced in center field by some guy named Mike Trout.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)