Nov 22, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Well, that progressed from rumor to trade in a hurry. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Angels have traded center fielder Peter Bourjos and outfield prospect Randal Grichuk to the Cardinals for third baseman David Freese and reliever Fernando Salas.
Obviously the Angels are betting that Freese will bounce back following a down 2013 and the Cardinals were willing to let him go because they have prospect Kolten Wong ready to take over at second base with Matt Carpenter shifting to third base. Meanwhile, the arrival of Bourjos presumably means Jon Jay will be on the way out of St. Louis at some point.
Freese hit .262 with nine homers and a .721 OPS in 138 games this year, which is 60 points of OPS below his career mark. Salas will likely slide into a middle relief role for the Angels after posting a 3.42 ERA and 186/69 K/BB ratio in 192 innings for the Cardinals.
Bourjos is a career .251 hitter with a .704 OPS, which is about 50 points below Jay’s lifetime mark, but the gap between them defensively is huge. Grichuk was the Angels’ first-round pick in 2009 and has shown good power with questionable strike-zone judgment while advancing to Double-A.
Following yesterday’s report that the Angels are talking to the Cardinals about third baseman David Freese, now Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register reports that the other side of the deal may involve center fielder Peter Bourjos.
St. Louis is looking to replace Jon Jay, who’s getting expensive and coming off a brutal postseason performance defensively, and Bourjos is one of the truly elite defensive center fielders in baseball. Of course, on the Angels he could be replaced in center field by some guy named Mike Trout.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 23
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 41
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)