Nov 22, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT
The Braves have announced that they have hired John Hart as senior advisor to their baseball operations department.
Hart, you probably know, is the former general manager of the Cleveland Indians and Texas Rangers. For several years he has served as a senior adviser of baseball operations for the Rangers and as an analyst for MLB Network. He goes back a long ways with Braves president John Schuerholz too.
Hart’s contract with the Rangers was up after this past season. It’s possible this move relates to Nolan Ryan’s departure from the Rangers organization, but given that he predated Ryan in Texas, I wouldn’t read too much into that. It is likely just a matter of new challenges in a new environment and a chance to work with an old friend in Schuerholz.
And heck, given that his most noted accomplishment in Cleveland was locking up young players to long below market deals, combined with the Braves multiple young players who could be looking at such extensions soon, perhaps Atlanta just wants to have the master on the payroll.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)