Nov 22, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
While the Dodgers aren’t overtly shopping Matt Kemp, teams are aware of their outfield situation in which they have four capable players for three positions. As a result, the Dodgers have been taking some phone calls from teams interest in Kemp. The Red Sox are the latest to inquire, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
The Red Sox may have to move on without Jacoby Ellsbury in center field, and Kemp could be one option going forward. However, he has six years and $128 million remaining on his contract. Though the Sox would have little problem finding room to fit him on the payroll, it would mark a departure from the strategy that helped them win the World Series. After shedding expensive, lengthy contracts in Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford, and Adrian Gonzalez, and resorting to mid-tier free agents — Mike Napoli, Koji Uehara, Shane Victorino — on shorter contracts, taking on Kemp’s $21-plus million for six years would be a reversal.
A potentially more palatable option for the Red Sox could involve Victorino moving to center field and signing veteran Carlos Beltran to a two- or three-year deal to play right field.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)