Nov 22, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
While the Dodgers aren’t overtly shopping Matt Kemp, teams are aware of their outfield situation in which they have four capable players for three positions. As a result, the Dodgers have been taking some phone calls from teams interest in Kemp. The Red Sox are the latest to inquire, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
The Red Sox may have to move on without Jacoby Ellsbury in center field, and Kemp could be one option going forward. However, he has six years and $128 million remaining on his contract. Though the Sox would have little problem finding room to fit him on the payroll, it would mark a departure from the strategy that helped them win the World Series. After shedding expensive, lengthy contracts in Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford, and Adrian Gonzalez, and resorting to mid-tier free agents — Mike Napoli, Koji Uehara, Shane Victorino — on shorter contracts, taking on Kemp’s $21-plus million for six years would be a reversal.
A potentially more palatable option for the Red Sox could involve Victorino moving to center field and signing veteran Carlos Beltran to a two- or three-year deal to play right field.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 26
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)