Nov 22, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
While the Dodgers aren’t overtly shopping Matt Kemp, teams are aware of their outfield situation in which they have four capable players for three positions. As a result, the Dodgers have been taking some phone calls from teams interest in Kemp. The Red Sox are the latest to inquire, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
The Red Sox may have to move on without Jacoby Ellsbury in center field, and Kemp could be one option going forward. However, he has six years and $128 million remaining on his contract. Though the Sox would have little problem finding room to fit him on the payroll, it would mark a departure from the strategy that helped them win the World Series. After shedding expensive, lengthy contracts in Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford, and Adrian Gonzalez, and resorting to mid-tier free agents — Mike Napoli, Koji Uehara, Shane Victorino — on shorter contracts, taking on Kemp’s $21-plus million for six years would be a reversal.
A potentially more palatable option for the Red Sox could involve Victorino moving to center field and signing veteran Carlos Beltran to a two- or three-year deal to play right field.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 74
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)