Nov 22, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
While the Dodgers aren’t overtly shopping Matt Kemp, teams are aware of their outfield situation in which they have four capable players for three positions. As a result, the Dodgers have been taking some phone calls from teams interest in Kemp. The Red Sox are the latest to inquire, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
The Red Sox may have to move on without Jacoby Ellsbury in center field, and Kemp could be one option going forward. However, he has six years and $128 million remaining on his contract. Though the Sox would have little problem finding room to fit him on the payroll, it would mark a departure from the strategy that helped them win the World Series. After shedding expensive, lengthy contracts in Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford, and Adrian Gonzalez, and resorting to mid-tier free agents — Mike Napoli, Koji Uehara, Shane Victorino — on shorter contracts, taking on Kemp’s $21-plus million for six years would be a reversal.
A potentially more palatable option for the Red Sox could involve Victorino moving to center field and signing veteran Carlos Beltran to a two- or three-year deal to play right field.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)