Nov 23, 2013, 3:47 PM EDT
Wells made more news this year for bouncing around from team-to-team and making relief appearances in blowout games than anything else. The 29-year-old batted .155/.211/.169 with one double and one RBI over 76 plate appearances between the Athletics, White Sox, and Phillies. He didn’t play after August 25 due to vision issues and was removed from Philadelphia’s 40-man roster after the season.
Wells is a strong defender and owns a .778 OPS against left-handers during his career, so he could be a useful platoon player if utilized correctly. There should be opportunity in the Cubs’ outfield next year.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)