Nov 23, 2013, 3:47 PM EDT
Wells made more news this year for bouncing around from team-to-team and making relief appearances in blowout games than anything else. The 29-year-old batted .155/.211/.169 with one double and one RBI over 76 plate appearances between the Athletics, White Sox, and Phillies. He didn’t play after August 25 due to vision issues and was removed from Philadelphia’s 40-man roster after the season.
Wells is a strong defender and owns a .778 OPS against left-handers during his career, so he could be a useful platoon player if utilized correctly. There should be opportunity in the Cubs’ outfield next year.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)