Nov 23, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
11:15 p.m. EST update: FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi says it’s expected to be a four-year pact between the Cardinals and Peralta.
A source told ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick that the Cardinals and shortstop Jhonny Peralta are “closing in” on a deal.
The word Friday from MLB.com’s Peter Gammons was that Peralta already had a four-year, $52 million contract offer on the table.
It seems like a very steep price to pay for a steroid-aided 31-year-old who has finished with OPSs in the .700 range three of the last five years. Peralta did hit an improved .303/.358/.457 last season when he wasn’t serving his 50-game Biogenesis suspension. His defense is fine, according to the numbers, but it’s certainly not going to get any better at his age. Some teams were believed to be considering him as an outfielder, not a shortstop.
That’s obviously not what the Cardinals are planning; they desperately need to upgrade from Pete Kozma and Daniel Descalso at shortstop. Peralta will do that, but his signing hardly seems like a typical Cardinals move, especially if he’s going to be earning in the neighborhood of $50 million.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)