Nov 24, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Let’s break up the monotony of off-season transactions and rumors with a feel-good story. Catcher Carlos Ruiz, who recently re-upped with the Phillies, surprised six-year-old cancer patient Aiden Riebel with a visit.
With the Saint Florian medal dangling around his neck, Aiden and his 10-year-old brother, Max, were then each given a Carlos Ruiz jersey and a baseball autographed by the Phillies catcher. Moments later, Ruiz himself — to the surprise of nearly everyone in the auditorium — emerged from a door at the back of the stage and proceeded to engage Aiden in a teary-eyed 45-second embrace.
“Sometimes things happen for some reason, but this is special that God put us all together right here,” said an emotional Ruiz. “Thanks to all the firefighters that came out and everybody else that is here and thank you for letting me be part of this.”
Aside from his skills on the baseball field, one reason the Phillies were so eager to bring Ruiz back was his community involvement. Ruiz started “Chooch’s Chicos,” designed to invite children from local Latino groups to attend Phillies games. He has also supported Philadelphia Futures, which works with lower-income students who want to attend college.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 12
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)