Nov 25, 2013, 6:29 PM EST
The Royals don’t have much wiggle room with their payroll after signing left-hander Jason Vargas to a four-year, $32 million contract last week, so they are willing to deal some of their bullpen surplus in order to address other areas of need.
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star was told by rival club officials that Aaron Crow and Tim Collins are “very available” in possible trades. Both pitchers will be arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter, so they’ll only get more expensive over time. The Royals would consider offers for any of their relievers, but they are naturally more reluctant to move All-Star closer Greg Holland than Crow or Collins.
Crow, who turned 27 earlier this month, owns a 3.19 ERA over 187 relief appearances in the majors while averaging 9.0 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9. Collins, a 24-year-old left-hander, has compiled a 3.51 ERA and 205 strikeouts over his first 190 innings in the majors.
Dutton currently projects the Royals to have a franchise-record payroll of $87 million in 2014.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 16
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 179
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 103
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (201)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)