Aaron Crow and Tim Collins “very available” via trade

Nov 25, 2013, 6:29 PM EST

Royals logo

The Royals don’t have much wiggle room with their payroll after signing left-hander Jason Vargas to a four-year, $32 million contract last week, so they are willing to deal some of their bullpen surplus in order to address other areas of need.

Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star was told by rival club officials that Aaron Crow and Tim Collins are “very available” in possible trades. Both pitchers will be arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter, so they’ll only get more expensive over time. The Royals would consider offers for any of their relievers, but they are naturally more reluctant to move All-Star closer Greg Holland than Crow or Collins.

Crow, who turned 27 earlier this month, owns a 3.19 ERA over 187 relief appearances in the majors while averaging 9.0 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9. Collins, a 24-year-old left-hander, has compiled a 3.51 ERA and 205 strikeouts over his first 190 innings in the majors.

Dutton currently projects the Royals to have a franchise-record payroll of $87 million in 2014.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 25, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Free Tiny Tim!

2. kcrobert10 - Nov 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Free him from what he has had plenty of opportunity and success in kc.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Who would you rather keep? Crow or Tiny Tim? To me, Crow is the better pitcher.

• spudchukar - Nov 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Tough call for me, and I am prejudiced cause Crow was a Mizzou product. Crow might have better command, but Collins can be nasty. Neither are bums. Somebody ought to pursue them. Not sure either is worth one of the Cards 9 starters, but they are tempting, young and talented.

• kcrobert10 - Nov 25, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I would keep both this yr and trade hochavear but if I had to choose I’d move crow 1st. I love mizzou to but we have an abundance or right handed starting pitching so we need as many lefty arms in the bullpens that we can get.

• sportsdrenched - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM

This front office has shown they can develop a bullpen. If parting with any of them gets the Royals an above average 2B, I’m OK with that.

Especially if it means Crow is leaving.

3. mianfr - Nov 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM

This is the first time I heard the Vargas news and I spit up my Diet Coke as I read it.

4. source7769 - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM

so santanas 10 million comes off they add vargas 8 million and now the payroll is maxed out ?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5447)