Nov 25, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Offseason trade rumors have linked Jeff Samardzija to various teams and over the weekend Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reported that “Toronto is putting together a package of young players” in an attempt to get the right-hander from the Cubs.
However, when asked about the Samardzija rumors on MLB Network radio Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said:
I won’t comment on specific rumors and things like that, but I will say that we’re definitely exploring starters with teams. But also, just like a lot of stuff that’s out there that is false, we have not made an offer to anybody with respect to a starter. So if there is something out there that we’ve actually made an offer to someone for a starter, that is not accurate. It doesn’t mean we’re not inquiring. Right now, there isn’t anything imminent.
It’s worth noting that Anthopoulos is notoriously tight-lipped about basically everything and a lot of the above quote could be semantics-based, but still. He’s certainly trying to put the vibe out there that the Blue Jays aren’t deep in talks with the Cubs about Samardzija.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 37
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 83
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)