Nov 25, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Offseason trade rumors have linked Jeff Samardzija to various teams and over the weekend Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reported that “Toronto is putting together a package of young players” in an attempt to get the right-hander from the Cubs.
However, when asked about the Samardzija rumors on MLB Network radio Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said:
I won’t comment on specific rumors and things like that, but I will say that we’re definitely exploring starters with teams. But also, just like a lot of stuff that’s out there that is false, we have not made an offer to anybody with respect to a starter. So if there is something out there that we’ve actually made an offer to someone for a starter, that is not accurate. It doesn’t mean we’re not inquiring. Right now, there isn’t anything imminent.
It’s worth noting that Anthopoulos is notoriously tight-lipped about basically everything and a lot of the above quote could be semantics-based, but still. He’s certainly trying to put the vibe out there that the Blue Jays aren’t deep in talks with the Cubs about Samardzija.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)