Nov 25, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Offseason trade rumors have linked Jeff Samardzija to various teams and over the weekend Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reported that “Toronto is putting together a package of young players” in an attempt to get the right-hander from the Cubs.
However, when asked about the Samardzija rumors on MLB Network radio Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said:
I won’t comment on specific rumors and things like that, but I will say that we’re definitely exploring starters with teams. But also, just like a lot of stuff that’s out there that is false, we have not made an offer to anybody with respect to a starter. So if there is something out there that we’ve actually made an offer to someone for a starter, that is not accurate. It doesn’t mean we’re not inquiring. Right now, there isn’t anything imminent.
It’s worth noting that Anthopoulos is notoriously tight-lipped about basically everything and a lot of the above quote could be semantics-based, but still. He’s certainly trying to put the vibe out there that the Blue Jays aren’t deep in talks with the Cubs about Samardzija.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 82
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (84)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)