Nov 25, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
St. Louis signing Jhonny Peralta to a four-year, $53 million contract with the intention of playing him at shortstop seemed to shock an awful lot of people, so I thought general manager John Mozeliak’s pre-signing comments about acquiring a shortstop were worth noting (via Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch):
One of the things we looked at when acquiring a shortstop was the amount of acquisition cost. For us, the asking price in the trade market seemed very prohibitive. There are two top shortstop candidates in the market, and one of the differences between them is there’s a righthanded hitter and a lefthanded hitter. We’re looking for a fit.
In other words the Cardinals tried to trade for a shortstop, but found the various asking prices (Shelby Miller? Matt Adams?) way too high. They also didn’t really feel like giving up a draft pick to sign Stephen Drew. And then finally they preferred the right-handed hitting Peralta over the left-handed hitting Drew, just in terms of how he fit into the existing lineup.
So they decided to simply throw money at the problem (and trust Peralta’s defensive numbers).
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)