Nov 25, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
St. Louis signing Jhonny Peralta to a four-year, $53 million contract with the intention of playing him at shortstop seemed to shock an awful lot of people, so I thought general manager John Mozeliak’s pre-signing comments about acquiring a shortstop were worth noting (via Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch):
One of the things we looked at when acquiring a shortstop was the amount of acquisition cost. For us, the asking price in the trade market seemed very prohibitive. There are two top shortstop candidates in the market, and one of the differences between them is there’s a righthanded hitter and a lefthanded hitter. We’re looking for a fit.
In other words the Cardinals tried to trade for a shortstop, but found the various asking prices (Shelby Miller? Matt Adams?) way too high. They also didn’t really feel like giving up a draft pick to sign Stephen Drew. And then finally they preferred the right-handed hitting Peralta over the left-handed hitting Drew, just in terms of how he fit into the existing lineup.
So they decided to simply throw money at the problem (and trust Peralta’s defensive numbers).
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 13
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 279
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)