Eight teams have checked in on Rafael Furcal

Nov 25, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT

Just to further underline this morning’s point about shortstop being a thin position in baseball, thereby explaining Jhonny Peralta‘s contract …

Eight teams on a 36 year-old shortstop who just missed an entire year due to Tommy John surgery. If your momma can handle grounders to her left, she’s likely to get a non-roster invite to play short someplace this spring.

1. xdj511 - Nov 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I used to play shortstop in intermural softball in college. I always used to try to pull off the “Rey Ordonez” play where he slid on his knees on balls deep in the hole to his left, and then stood up, whirled around and threw the ball to first in one motion. I could never get the throw quite right. I’m 38 now and I’m not so sure that if I slid on my knees like that if I could even get back up, but yeah, two unnamed teams are “checking in on” me too.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I am sure that the number of interested teams is up to 5 now that you have indicated that you might be available.

• spudchukar - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM

That was “checking you in”, not “in on”.

2. spudchukar - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:08 PM

“your momma can handle grounders to her left”. Is that an euphemism I’m not familiar with?

• cackalackyank - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM

It depends on whether or not the momma in question has received a Jeter gift basket.

3. cktai - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I play shortstop and second base for my local baseball team. Last season I hit a triple slash of .451/.481/.539 in 14 games. That’s right, I hit a massive two doubles and an inside the park home run. I expect that my .575 BABIP is totally sustainable, and am willing to listen at offers starting from 60M for 4 years.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 25, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Bitcoins or monopoly money?

• lanflfan - Nov 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Rupees (the currency of Legend of Zelda not the currency of India).

4. joewilliesshnoz - Nov 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I’d rather see the Buc’s go after Tulowitski.

5. gibbyfan - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Wish the Cards have given Furcal another look, if it could have been done on the cheap there would not have been much to lose……..Isn’t what he used to be defensively but still better than JP

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate