Mariners president Chuck Armstrong is retiring after 28 years

Nov 25, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT

Chuck Armstrong Getty Getty Images

The Mariners recently hired Lloyd McClendon to serve as their new manager, but they’ll also have a surprising change in their front office for 2014.

Longtime team president and COO Chuck Armstrong announced this afternoon that he will retire effective January 31, 2014. According to Greg Johns of MLB.com, the Mariners will begin a search for his replacement immediately.

Per Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times, here’s part of a statement from Armstrong:

“Thirty years ago my family and I were given a wonderful opportunity to move to the Seattle area and become associated with the Seattle Mariners,” Armstrong said in a statement. “We quickly grew to love this community and this team. Through all the good times and the not-so-good times on the field since 1984, the goal always has been to win the World Series. My only regret is that the entire region wasn’t able to enjoy a parade through the City to celebrate a World Championship together.

“After much thought and reflection, it is now time for me to retire and enjoy as much time as possible with my wife Susan and our family. The recent deaths of several good friends have really had an impact on me and helped crystallize my decision. This was a very difficult, very personal decision, but I know in my heart that it’s time to turn the page and move to the next chapter of my life.

Armstrong, 71, has served as team president for 28 years during two separate stints with the club. His current stint began in 1992, after he helped keep the team in Seattle. The Mariners have made four playoff appearances during his tenure, though they’ve been shut out since the team’s remarkable 116-win season in 2001.

1. tfbuckfutter - Nov 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM

It was a hell of a….well….it was a long run anyway.

2. asimonetti88 - Nov 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Probably good news for Mariners fans.

• rocketbutt - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Definitely good news for Mariners fans. Beat it, Chuckles.

Howie, you’re next. Please.

3. thisdamnbox - Nov 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM

One down, one to go…Howie, your turn to retire…

4. fearthehoody - Nov 25, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Good riddance!

5. fearthehoody - Nov 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM

How about a Jack Z leaving post to make my holidays even more merrier??

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM

How about a Grammer Nazi post to point out that you should have said “even more merry”?

• tfbuckfutter - Nov 25, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Aww no!

I playfully grammered when I shoulda grammared!

#badtime #grumpycat

• fearthehoody - Nov 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Nice profile pic! I will disregard comment

• ryanrockzzz - Nov 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Nah, he’s to busy thinking Carlos Beltran will come to Seattle and take the team to a WS.

6. swu32733 - Nov 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM

One down and one to go. Losers all.

7. drs76109 - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM

How about Pat Gillick or Lou Pinella to return?

8. beastmode5150 - Nov 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

9. rockytony - Nov 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I can assure all those of us around that the Game of Baseball is truly losing one of the “good guys.” But after fighting these wars for so long, he deserves a rest and time with his family; and he’s earned just that. Good luck Chuck. There ain’t many around like you.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2968)