Nov 25, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
The Mariners recently hired Lloyd McClendon to serve as their new manager, but they’ll also have a surprising change in their front office for 2014.
Longtime team president and COO Chuck Armstrong announced this afternoon that he will retire effective January 31, 2014. According to Greg Johns of MLB.com, the Mariners will begin a search for his replacement immediately.
Per Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times, here’s part of a statement from Armstrong:
“Thirty years ago my family and I were given a wonderful opportunity to move to the Seattle area and become associated with the Seattle Mariners,” Armstrong said in a statement. “We quickly grew to love this community and this team. Through all the good times and the not-so-good times on the field since 1984, the goal always has been to win the World Series. My only regret is that the entire region wasn’t able to enjoy a parade through the City to celebrate a World Championship together.
“After much thought and reflection, it is now time for me to retire and enjoy as much time as possible with my wife Susan and our family. The recent deaths of several good friends have really had an impact on me and helped crystallize my decision. This was a very difficult, very personal decision, but I know in my heart that it’s time to turn the page and move to the next chapter of my life.
Armstrong, 71, has served as team president for 28 years during two separate stints with the club. His current stint began in 1992, after he helped keep the team in Seattle. The Mariners have made four playoff appearances during his tenure, though they’ve been shut out since the team’s remarkable 116-win season in 2001.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)