Nov 25, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
I’ve been fighting with people all morning about this Jhonny Peralta business. The take of many: Peralta is walking evidence of crime paying and his big contract should/will force Major League Baseball to ratchet-up PED discipline. My take: the guy represented a scarce resource — a free agent shortstop who can hit — and dropped into a market where lots of teams have a need at shortstop and a lot of money to spend. Cheating didn’t get him his money. Market economics did.
With all of that in mind, go read Dave Cameron’s latest at FanGraphs. I’m not smart enough to be able to grok the Peralta’s defensive skills like Dave does, but he argues pretty convincingly that (a) Peralta is a better shortstop than many give him credit for; and (b) players who profile like Peralta basically make around $13 million a year. The upshot: Peralta was underrated by many, but smart teams like the Cardinals know exactly what they’re doing with him, financially speaking.
Whether it was a good contract remains to be seen of course. And what that all means morally and ethically is sort of beside that point. But the notion that Peralta somehow cheated as a means of duping a general manager into overpaying for fraudulent performance is sort of silly.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (102)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)